• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

College Football 2018 Season

akt1985

Reaction score
Lost in today’s big conference title games is that UAB won the Conference USA Championship Game today in only it’s second year since the football program was relaunched.

Reaction score
Thank you for delivering another delicious Georgia heartbreak.

Signed,

Auburn

Well how could Bama not win when UGA's coach either still thinks he's still on their payroll or just wanted to give Saban a huge Christmas Present??!! One would have thought he would have learned from the LSU game not to try and be slick with fakes and Bama even left their defense on the field showing that they knew the fake was coming!!

4th & 11 at 50
(3:04 - 4th) Justin Fields run for 2 yds to the Alab 48

I think the Refs had a hand in it too with the fumble UGA recovery that got overturned into an AL touchdown. He DID NOT have control of that ball-replay was obvious. If he had control he would have kept control and UGA wouldn't have ended up with it. Instead he had it very briefly until UGA took control of it.

1st & Goal at UGA 1
(2:18 - 2nd) Josh Jacobs Recovered Fumble In End Zone (Joseph Bulovas Kick)

Mainly I think Smart just didn't coach very Smartly. How does UGA tie or lead up until the last 5 minutes of this game and last 3 minutes of last years game only to lose both times. of 2hrs of football UGA has been tied or in the lead all but 8 minutes of it

Kory

Reaction score
I was completely wrong in everything Jalen Hurts related. I will be quiet.

He epitomizes Alabama football and i love it. Roll mf’in tide.

Reaction score
I hope UGA gets UCF in the Cotton Bowl :) 2 yr undefeated will come to a screeching halt! Auburn couldn't handle them but I think UGA could put them in their place :D

Jacob

Reaction score
Well how could Bama not win when UGA's coach either still thinks he's still on their payroll or just wanted to give Saban a huge Christmas Present??!! One would have thought he would have learned from the LSU game not to try and be slick with fakes and Bama even left their defense on the field showing that they knew the fake was coming!!

I think the Refs had a hand in it too with the fumble UGA recovery that got overturned into an AL touchdown. He DID NOT have control of that ball-replay was obvious. If he had control he would have kept control and UGA wouldn't have ended up with it. Instead he had it very briefly until UGA took control of it.

Mainly I think Smart just didn't coach very Smartly. How does UGA tie or lead up until the last 5 minutes of this game and last 3 minutes of last years game only to lose both times. of 2hrs of football UGA has been tied or in the lead all but 8 minutes of it

The fake punt is one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen in a big game like that. I was completely dumbfounded by it. If you punt Alabama deep, you’ve got a couple timeouts and Alabama was likely to go conservative being pinned back like that. Instead the entire playbook was open getting it at the 50.

And stuff like the fumble recovery always makes me chuckle how people’s fandom makes them see two completely different things. I was worried they wouldn’t overturn it, despite how blatantly obvious it was to me that he had full possession of it in the end zone before UGA dislodged it again.

That was just an amazing and strange game all the way around. I think the sprain to Tua’s ankle on the very first possession changed the whole game, as he was off and behind almost every receiver the rest of the game.

Can’t help but feel great for Hurts, amazing story for him.

Kory

Reaction score
Tua is made of glass. He needs to learn to (1) throw away the ball and (2) step up in the pocket to avoid big hits and injuries.

Kory

Reaction score
The fake punt is one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen in a big game like that. I was completely dumbfounded by it. If you punt Alabama deep, you’ve got a couple timeouts and Alabama was likely to go conservative being pinned back like that. Instead the entire playbook was open getting it at the 50.

And stuff like the fumble recovery always makes me chuckle how people’s fandom makes them see two completely different things. I was worried they wouldn’t overturn it, despite how blatantly obvious it was to me that he had full possession of it in the end zone before UGA dislodged it again.

That was just an amazing and strange game all the way around. I think the sprain to Tua’s ankle on the very first possession changed the whole game, as he was off and behind almost every receiver the rest of the game.

Can’t help but feel great for Hurts, amazing story for him.
Yeah, Ol Bowl Cut can't get it done on the biggest stage. How long til Georgia fans turn on him?

That was classic Kirby defense in the second half. I don't miss the "mush rush."

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Tua is made of glass. He needs to learn to (1) throw away the ball and (2) step up in the pocket to avoid big hits and injuries.

This times 100. Yesterday I think he lost the Heisman and rightfully so. The two interceptions were atrocious, and some of the sacks he took as well.. yikes. I believe yesterday epitomized why the QB battle took so long to resolve because while Tua's ceiling is high, his floor is LOW and yesterday demonstrated that.

And I don't know WTF is with his body. He needs to be spending some time with Scott Cochran in the weight room this offseason getting some muscle mass because it was almost getting to a point to where I was beginning to question if he was being dramatic. I still love the guy but not nearly as much this morning as I did yesterday. He needs to put some work into his S&C this offseason or he's not going to make it next year.

Jacob

Reaction score
This times 100. Yesterday I think he lost the Heisman and rightfully so. The two interceptions were atrocious, and some of the sacks he took as well.. yikes. I believe yesterday epitomized why the QB battle took so long to resolve because while Tua's ceiling is high, his floor is LOW and yesterday demonstrated that.

And I don't know WTF is with his body. He needs to be spending some time with Scott Cochran in the weight room this offseason getting some muscle mass because it was almost getting to a point to where I was beginning to question if he was being dramatic. I still love the guy but not nearly as much this morning as I did yesterday. He needs to put some work into his S&C this offseason or he's not going to make it next year.

What muscle could he strengthen to help when an OT steps on his ankle, or his ankle gets caught up under the defender on a sack?

Last edited:

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
I don’t know if I could type a dumber post out if I tried.

What muscle could he strengthen to help with an OT steps on his ankle, or his ankle gets caught up under the defender on a sack?

Well your decision to launch an unwarranted personal attack made your post even dumber, so...

And I'll answer it because this is what is actually used to improve ankle stability and endurance: Calf raises and toe curls, either with or without weight. I just looked it up and both exercises are extremely common and effective for increasing muscle mass, stability, and endurance in the ankle area INCLUDING resistance to being stepped on.

Next time if you're going to get smart, at least assume I don't do my research before posting.

Edit: And if you would like evidence for how that can help, watch this play from Texas A&M vs Clemson and tell me how not only did he not break his ankle, but he got up and kept running for more yards? S&C. That's how.

Last edited:

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Moving on from that, can somebody explain to me why ESPN and some analysts are still trying to push Georgia into the playoff? They had a bad loss to an easily stoppable LSU team and they are a two-loss non conference champ. What is the logic behind trying to push them in?

Its OU vs OSU for the 4th spot and I really don't see any argument otherwise. If the committee puts Georgia in they will have lost all credibility..

Jacob

Reaction score
Well your decision to launch an unwarranted personal attack made your post even dumber, so...

And I'll answer it because this is what is actually used to improve ankle stability and endurance: Calf raises and toe curls, either with or without weight. I just looked it up and both exercises are extremely common and effective for increasing muscle mass, stability, and endurance in the ankle area INCLUDING resistance to being stepped on.

Next time if you're going to get smart, at least assume I don't do my research before posting.

Edit: And if you would like evidence for how that can help, watch this play from Texas A&M vs Clemson and tell me how not only did he not break his ankle, but he got up and kept running for more yards? S&C. That's how.

Couple of points

1) I didn't personally attack you. I was talking about how dumb I felt your post was, but not personally at you. Perhaps that's splitting hairs.
2) I went back and edited out the first line, unfortunately after you saw it. It doesn't matter whether or not I feel that way, it won't lead to productive conversation. For my tone, I apologize

Now, to further address your points. No amount of calf raises and toe curls would help with how he was stepped on in the 4th quarter. You can't protect against certain types of freak accidents that occur in football. Joe Theisman couldn't have done more (insert exercise here) and prevented his injury. Could stronger S&C helped his ankle on the 1st drive? There's no way to know that. Given how his ankle got caught up under the defender and rolled sideways, I'm betting probably not, but it's a hypothetical either way.

As for the video, if you look up the slow motion replay from the full game film, his ankle never twisted sideways. It looks painful, but he was really just bent backwards, no knees or ankles went sideways.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tua was hurt pretty bad on the 1st quarter interception at the goal line. It had a negative impact on his performance for the remainder of the game.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And i just love crying about officiating. If that helps people accept a loss better so be it.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Only Bama fans argue after such a huge win. Myself included.

Its what makes us the best fanbase in college football. And @Jacob, I do apologize for my tone previously as well. I've repeatedly had to justify my positions in almost everything I take over the years, so coming in hot when I get a strong response is just part of my DNA.

And with that said, OU vs Alabama in the Orange Bowl. I frankly think its kind of a joke we're playing OU and not Notre Dame since if we're going by the eye test we should have the right to play the least impressive team as the number one seed, but it is what it is.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
If I were King of College Football... here is what I would decree for this year.

6 team playoff with two play-in games
Play-in Game 1.. Dec 15 RCA Dome Indianapolis Ohio St vs.ND

Play-in Game 2.. Dec 15 Superdome New Orleans UGA vs. Oklahoma

Semi-Finals... January 1. Winner Play-in 1 vs Bama....... Winner Play-in 2 vs. Clemson

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
If I were King of College Football... here is what I would decree for this year.

6 team playoff with two play-in games
Play-in Game 1.. Dec 15 RCA Dome Indianapolis Ohio St vs.ND

Play-in Game 2.. Dec 15 Superdome New Orleans UGA vs. Oklahoma

Semi-Finals... January 1. Winner Play-in 1 vs Bama....... Winner Play-in 2 vs. Clemson

That's a fair system but I'd switch the play-in games to the home stadium of the higher seeded teams. If we expand past 4 I think they need to start being on campuses and not at neutral sites.

Back