• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

College Football 2018 Season

Kory

Reaction score
After what I saw today, I'd be content with Mac Jones as #2.

Also, that defensive front 7 will be nasty this coming season.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
After what I saw today, I'd be content with Mac Jones as #2.

Also, that defensive front 7 will be nasty this coming season.

With Tua's little brother coming in next season and Mac Jones likely having a legitmate chance to grab the starting job once Tua leaves (Likely after his junior year) combined with the daddy issues and Coach Saban bashing him on a live microphone today, I think Hurts is all but gone. It doesn't even sound like Saban wants him in the program that much with the increasing diva-ness of the whole situation unless he just accepts that he's not a true QB and makes a position change.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Lane Kiffin was a QB developing magician

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Lane Kiffin was a QB developing magician

He got us a 1 seed in the playoff with a converted RB, he won a national championship with an extremely inconsistent gunslinger who was a liability the first 8 games of the season, and he almost made it a 2-peat with a freshman who has regressed massively ever since he left Alabama.

I'm not going to ever call him a great playcaller, but he knew how to get the most out of QBs like nobody else.

Kory

Reaction score
He got us a 1 seed in the playoff with a converted RB, he won a national championship with an extremely inconsistent gunslinger who was a liability the first 8 games of the season, and he almost made it a 2-peat with a freshman who has regressed massively ever since he left Alabama.

I'm not going to ever call him a great playcaller, but he knew how to get the most out of QBs like nobody else.
Hurts began regressing before Kiffin left. I think Saban is so adverse to turnovers, that Hurts had a lot of the confidence coached out of him. Saban probably saw those turnovers heading into the playoffs of 2016 and squashed any of that.

Can we have the Jalen Hurts during USC back?

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Hurts began regressing before Kiffin left. I think Saban is so adverse to turnovers, that Hurts had a lot of the confidence coached out of him. Saban probably saw those turnovers heading into the playoffs of 2016 and squashed any of that.

Can we have the Jalen Hurts during USC back?

I'm not so sure it's so much Saban yanking the confidence out of him as much as it is he just starts panicking once his first option isn't there. Even against USC, he was very much a one read and tuck player. The bomb to Stewart to open up the scoring was great, but it was clear the entire time that was his primary read and he just happened to get behind the defense.

Another thing is that Hurts has never really been a precision thrower. Every time he releases the ball it has a funky wobble on it, and the receivers seem like they consistently have to readjust. He's good at putting touch on his passes (Admittedly one of the thing's he's a little better at than Tua at this juncture), but he's only thrown a rope a couple of times which is what Tua is so good at and does consistently.

Kory

Reaction score
The weather couldn't have been better for the game yesterday. 70s and full sun. I exited the stadium several shades tanner than I went in.

Kory

Reaction score
And Bama is back at #1 in the 2019 recruiting class. It’s nice to have coaches that can and will recruit. Dunbar and Daboll were the saddest recruiters.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Daboll was handcuffed.

We saw what he wanted to do in the 2nd half of the Georgia game.

Kory

Reaction score
Daboll was handcuffed.

From what I heard, there was a pretty big rift in between Saban and Daboll stemming from who they wanted at starter. Locksley actually did much of the game planning for Jalen because Daboll was a huge resisting force in having him start. You could see when Daboll game planned, it was long developing plays, few line of scrimmage shifts, no bubble screens/quick reads. Locksley did a better job with the RPO offense...see this year's Sugar Bowl. Hurts' stats weren't eye-popping, but they were efficient for the defense we were going up against.

Daboll's recruiting efforts were still lower than whale poop. I guess I shouldn't expect anything different from a guy who has been pro his whole life...

Last edited:

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Daboll was handcuffed.

From what I heard, there was a pretty big rift in between Saban and Daboll stemming from who they wanted at starter. Locksley actually did much of the game planning for Jalen because Daboll was a huge resisting force in having him start. You could see when Daboll game planned, it was long developing plays, few line of scrimmage shifts, no bubble screens/quick reads. Locksley did a better job with the RPO offense...see this year's Sugar Bowl. Hurts' stats weren't eye-popping, but they were efficient for the defense we were going up against.

Daboll's recruiting efforts were still lower than whale poop. I guess I shouldn't expect anything different from a guy who has been pro his whole life...

Daboll may have been handcuffed, but that doesn't excuse trying to ignite a revolution instead of designing a game plan that plays to the strengths of your personnel. Kiffin, as much as his playcalling was questionable at times, at least designed his offenses to suit the personnel we had in a given season. 2014 was a misdirection offense designed to get the ball to Amari Cooper in space, 2015 was a more traditional pro-style offense with Derrick Henry and a less mobile QB but one who had a cannon for an arm, and 2016 was an RPO with lots of option plays and short passes to make it easier for Hurts to make quick decisions on where to go with the football.

2017's offense really didn't seem to have any sort of identity. It seemed like a return to more of the 2013 offense except with pretty much every snap being taken from shotgun. Now, if we had Tua or a more pro-style QB under center that would have worked, but Jalen isn't a pro-style QB by any means and from the Iron Bowl onward it was very obvious he was not suited to be running this type of offense. Likewise, Daboll really made no attempts to play more to his strengths and less to his weaknesses. Sure, the offense looked explosive in the 2nd half against Georgia with Saban finally deciding a change needed to be made, but Daboll sitting there and pouting like a child because Saban up until that point believed Jalen gave us the best chance to win doesn't particularly make me happy.

Is Hurts the best QB on the team? Summer camp or Tua's hand injury nagging him could change that, but after spring? No he is not, and if we had to start either Hurts or Mac Jones I'd honestly say Mac Jones could make this a legitimate QB competition just by himself. However, that doesn't excuse trying to ignite a revolution or anything like that.

Reaction score
And Bama is back at #1 in the 2019 recruiting class. It’s nice to have coaches that can and will recruit. Dunbar and Daboll were the saddest recruiters.
To be fair, this means absolutely nothing at this point. It will change numerous times by signing day. Alabama should be a top 3 class though. They're #3 in the 247 composite.

Kory

Reaction score
To be fair, this means absolutely nothing at this point. It will change numerous times by signing day. Alabama should be a top 3 class though. They're #3 in the 247 composite.
It certainly does though. At this point last season, UA was in the 20s recruiting wise. We could see there were a few weak links in the recruiting department. That appears to have been fixed. With 27 spots open, we'll have a very large number of recruits to take, so sheer numbers indicate we'll be very close to the top, if not the top.

Kory

Reaction score
Aren't they pretty....Auburn can keep their SEC West Regular Season Championship rings.

DHdzDst.jpg

Source: https://www.secrant.com/rant/alabama-sports/rings-handed-out-last-night/76427593/

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Rumors floating around that Kirby is trying to flip Alabama recruits by telling them Saban is old and needs to retire.

What a swineball. Can't believe I supported him as much as I did when he was our defensive coordinator.

Reaction score
It certainly does though. At this point last season, UA was in the 20s recruiting wise. We could see there were a few weak links in the recruiting department. That appears to have been fixed. With 27 spots open, we'll have a very large number of recruits to take, so sheer numbers indicate we'll be very close to the top, if not the top.

We can agree to disagree. Georgia's class was hot garbage at this time last year. It's April. But it should be a great recruiting season to follow. Georgia, Clemson, OSU, and Alabama should all have decent class sizes.

Reaction score
Rumors floating around that Kirby is trying to flip Alabama recruits by telling them Saban is old and needs to retire.

What a swineball. Can't believe I supported him as much as I did when he was our defensive coordinator.

He is old. He does need to retire!

In all seriousness, everything goes in recruiting. What do you think Saban is telling recruits? Negative recruiting happens. If someone is saying Saban is old and will retire soon, that may be the sweetest thing an opposing coach says about him on the recruiting trail.

Back