• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Cloudmount Ski aka Ski Bama

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Has anyone ever been to Cloudmount Ski aka Ski Bama? They posted this video today and well for someone that has never taken to any skis in their life it looks like an okay place to learn. I mean really, how many great skiers could their be in Alabama?

Matt

Reaction score
Years ago (perhaps 15 or so) I took a middle school youth group for a day. It is what it is. Skiing in Alabama. But they had a blast. We had a good cold day and it was actually snowing but not enough to cause problems with travel.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Interesting. Thanks for sharing!!

SIGWX

Reaction score
It is a nice area of the state. The ski area is also part of their Golf coarse, they also had horse back riding not if they do that anymore. That is where my 2 sons learn how to ski, when they were young (yeeaarrss ago)

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've been there two times I think. I wouldn't actually call what i was trying to do skiing though. More organized falling and dodging other people...lol.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've been there two times I think. I wouldn't actually call what i was trying to do skiing though. More organized falling and dodging other people...lol.
That could be a new Olympic sport...

Mr. Plow

Reaction score
I've been there a couple of times. Just a few things:
1. Go during the week after a few days of cold weather (lows in the 20's .) They'll have some decent snow made and the crowds aren't as bad (weekends can get really crowded.)
2. If you've never skied before, take a lesson. It will get you going much faster than trying to figure out how to ski on your own. Also the lesson will get you ready to negotiate the lift.
3. Be ready for the tow rope lift. These things can really tired your arms out until you learn how to pull yourself ahead of the tow bar and place it on the small of your back letting it push you instead of pull you. Too bad they don't use T-bars or platter lifts.

Finally, this may get you started skiing but it doesn't compare with the larger resorts in the NE or out West.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think you should completely video and perhaps go live on Facebook as you take lessons, NOT for us to laugh at you but to cheer you on!!:p

_melody_

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I think you should completely video and perhaps go live on Facebook as you take lessons, NOT for us to laugh at you but to cheer you on!!:p

I completely agree. You need our support, really. ;):D

Back