• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Change of Scenery

Jacob

Reaction score
It's an interesting time right now at my house. I have accepted a new job at a facility north of Salt Lake City, UT, and just got the final word a few minutes ago that everything is a go. I've never lived anywhere except Alabama, and with the exception of 2 years in Mobile, I've always lived in the tornado hotbed of the Birmingham area or the Tuscaloosa area.

My wife and I picked up snow skiing on a whim in 2014 and have dreamed of living closer to the mountains and somewhere that gets a little bit more snow in the winter. We've flirted with SLC and Boise in the past, but never ended up following through. A job that was an absolute perfect fit opened up, I applied, and now a few weeks later I'm packing everything up and moving out there. I have two young kids, ages 4 and 2, and figured if I was ever going to do it, now was the time. I wanted to go ahead and do it now instead of when they were older. I'm also going to go from travelling 75-100 days a year to 0 days, so everybody is excited about that part as well.

Obviously I'll still be posting on this forum. I've only been posting here since I was in 8th grade, no reason to stop now!

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That's awesome!

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your awesome sounding opportunity and best wishes on you and your family's new adventure!

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Utah is an amazing state and SLC is a very cool place. I've only been twice but hoping to make my way back out there soon. Excited for the adventure you and yours are about to go through and look forward to the Utah reports on TalkWeather!

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a couple of snow skiing trips to Utah back about 15 yrs ago. Hit several of the slopes in the area. It was great

Jacob

Reaction score
I appreciate the kind words. It'll be interesting being on the opposite side of major storm systems here. With all the talk of tornadoes and severe weather the next few days, the forecast calls for a few inches of snow where I'll be living, and a couple feet of snow up in the mountains.

Jacob

Reaction score
I went on a couple of snow skiing trips to Utah back about 15 yrs ago. Hit several of the slopes in the area. It was great

The plan will certainly be to hit the slopes 2-4 times every week during the ski season. Took my 4 year old a couple days this past winter and she absolutely loved it.

Reaction score
Utah is an awesome state; so many parks and wilderness all around. It's also right next door to Colorado, where I'm trying to move out to (we'll see how that goes). But yeah, the western states are so much better than most other places I've lived. Gotta love the mountains....

Back