• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Birmingham revokes business license for store after justified shooting

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/03/birmingham_council_deems_north.html

Here is the short version. A gas station in Birmingham, AL had their business license revoked because of an incident where a customer was harassing the clerk and the customer was pepper sprayed, the customer then pulled a gun on the clerk and ended up being shot dead by the clerk. Police ruled the shooting justified and despite the pleas of the local residents in the area that there was a community need for the gas station, Birmingham City Council voted to revoke the business license because it was deemed a "public nuisance".

Birmingham is really promoting that safe and business friendly culture.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I was always taught to only pull out a firearm if you're 100% dedicated to pulling the trigger immediately. Maybe some day people will treat this deadly weapon with more responsibility and respect.

Kory

Reaction score
I was always taught to only pull out a firearm if you're 100% dedicated to pulling the trigger immediately. Maybe some day people will treat this deadly weapon with more responsibility and respect.
There are situations in which you could hold the perpetrator until police arrive. Some situations in which the immediate presence of a firearm will result in the criminal fleeing, in which case, you cannot pull the trigger (as he is no longer a threat). In the case of this gas station, the customer who was fatally shot was 100% the aggressor when he pulled the gun, was pepper sprayed, and subsequently continued brandishing the firearm.

Deadly force can only be justified if someone is an immediate threat to the safety of another person. The guy who pulled a gun first over an argument is stupid but ultimately paid with it for his life.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
There are situations in which you could hold the perpetrator until police arrive. Some situations in which the immediate presence of a firearm will result in the criminal fleeing, in which case, you cannot pull the trigger (as he is no longer a threat). In the case of this gas station, the customer who was fatally shot was 100% the aggressor when he pulled the gun, was pepper sprayed, and subsequently continued brandishing the firearm.

Deadly force can only be justified if someone is an immediate threat to the safety of another person. The guy who pulled a gun first over an argument is stupid but ultimately paid with it for his life.
My point was geared more towards the aggressor who pulled the firearm and created the hostile situation to begin with. No doubt the defensive use of a firearm in this situation sounds entirely justified. I'm not sure why the city did what they did though. Perhaps there's something we don't know about the situation.

Logo 468x120
Back