• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Birds of Prey and Weather

PrinceAL

Reaction score
Greetings new friends,

I have a cadre of falcons that I use for hunting small prey. I have noticed that my feathered friends often seem to know when the weather is changing before I do. Is this something that is associated with low pressure systems and does anyone know if birds of prey in the wild react the same way?

Thank you kindly for your expertise.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting, what kinds of indications do you notice they give before the weather changes?
I can only speculate but I imagine falcons and other intelligent birds of prey could associate changes in wind direction and temperature (and the speed of that change) with precipitation. It's possible other things such as pressure could be involved, maybe somebody who knows more about it can chime in.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Birds sense change in pressure via the paratympanic organ (sometimes referred to as the Vital Organ) located in their middle ear. Googling something along the lines of bird paratympanic organ should give you all of the info you’re seeking. I would do that and post some links here, but I’m on my phone right now and I hate doing that when I’m not in my computer.

Back