• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Alabama General Election for Senate

Derek00

Reaction score
That's a broad, broad brush you're painting with.
I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk when I say that I'd love to be proven wrong.

As far as the abortion thing, my politics are about as left-wing as you can get and I would absolutely vote for a right-wing politician over a pedophile. You can have a debate over abortion, there's no debating pedophilia. There's no compromise there. When someone is that level of a person, AT THE VERY LEAST a decent state would do what they could to keep that guy from representing said state. Roy Moore is a pedophile and the majority of Alabama will vote for him without blinking because they're blinded by ignorance and religion. So yeah, going back to my original thing, I'd love to be proven wrong and to look like a complete fool. It would be nice to be proud of my home state for once instead of being ashamed of it.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk when I say that I'd love to be proven wrong.

As far as the abortion thing, my politics are about as left-wing as you can get and I would absolutely vote for a right-wing politician over a pedophile. You can have a debate over abortion, there's no debating pedophilia. There's no compromise there. When someone is that level of a person, AT THE VERY LEAST a decent state would do what they could to keep that guy from representing said state. Roy Moore is a pedophile and the majority of Alabama will vote for him without blinking because they're blinded by ignorance and religion. So yeah, going back to my original thing, I'd love to be proven wrong and to look like a complete fool. It would be nice to be proud of my home state for once instead of being ashamed of it.
Actually, you’re wrong... you absolutely can debate pedophilia, as different states have different ages of consent. Just as you can debate when a fetus becomes a human, you can debate when a human becomes an adult.

Derek00

Reaction score
Actually, you’re wrong... you absolutely can debate pedophilia, as different states have different ages of consent. Just as you can debate when a fetus becomes a human, you can debate when a human becomes an adult.
Pretty sure there's no debating when that age is 14. If someone did want to debate that, they're just as sick as he is.

Kory

Reaction score
I keep seeing this election as a binary choice...you either have to vote Jones or Moore. You know, sitting out because both candidates disgust you is a viable and legitimate option. It is what I am doing, much to the dismay of many people I speak with.

Kory

Reaction score
At the end of the day, do any of us really believe Roe vs. Wade will ever be overturned? I think it's a Republican talking point for wedging purposes that has no real teeth behind it. Republicans know that the majority of the American population support abortion rights to at least some degree, so even though they may make noise about it, I don't think they're serious about trying to enact major restrictions. I think the most practical way to reduce abortions is through education, birth control access, adoption, and assistance to single mothers. That's why I don't see something like Doug Jones' pro-choice stance making any significant difference on this issue one way or the other, and certainly doesn't merit electing Crazy Roy Moore in his place.
I’m sure people thought Plessy v Ferguson would never get overturned. That line of thinking would be like “Plessy v Ferguson will never get over turned. Let’s just make sure the segregated minority stuff is nice. That’s the best way to fix the problem.”

I agree with your other points. Prevention through birth control, education, etc is BEST approach but that can be done while not permitting fetuses to be violently sucked apart.

Last edited:

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Pretty sure there's no debating when that age is 14. If someone did want to debate that, they're just as sick as he is.
There are entire countries and cultures that disagree with you. Besides, since pro-choice folks like to use science to justify that a fetus isn't a human being, why wouldn't you want to use science to justify when a female is an adult human? If life begins at birth, why doesn't adult womanhood begin at menstruation? See - it can be debated.

Reactions: KoD

Kory

Reaction score
There are entire countries and cultures that disagree with you. Besides, since pro-choice folks like to use science to justify that a fetus isn't a human being, why wouldn't you want to use science to justify when a female is an adult human? If life begins at birth, why doesn't adult womanhood begin at menstruation? See - it can be debated.
Now you done triggered him. Incoming virtue signaling rant on how garbage this state is.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
(and just in case anyone thinks otherwise, these are not my beliefs)

Derek00

Reaction score
Now you done triggered him. Incoming virtue signaling rant on how garbage this state is.
Rudeness is not very Christian of you, brother Kory.

Also, maybe I'm missing something here, it's a bit strange that the takeaway from that post was, "Now wait a goddamn minute here, we absolutely CAN debate pedophilia!"

Last edited:

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score

Also, maybe I'm missing something here, it's a bit strange that the takeaway from that post was, "Now wait a goddamn minute here, we absolutely CAN debate pedophilia!"
No, the takeaway was that you claimed it was not debatable but abortion is (as a means to imply that pro-choice is less evil than a creepy old man), but neither your assertion nor the parenthetical are true. I was simply disproving your statement to nullify your implied argument.

Kory

Reaction score

Your takeaway is 100% wrong, but that is the kind of reputation you've built here, so I'm not totally shocked. I am mocking your sanctimonious tone that you exhibit in every single one of your posts. It's easy to gripe and whine about how "garbage" this people this state are, but when maroonedinhsv countered your argument is a very well thought out way, no response from you. I don't think you're here to have a serious discussion, just to clutch pearls and whine.

And you sure like to point out religion a lot, specifically Christianity. Not sure what the end game is there since it came out of left field...if you could be more specific as to how my religion pertains to this discussion, that would be nice.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a Roy Moore supporter, but that woman who has admitted that she wrote with her own hand what she had passed off as written entirely by Moore on her yearbook needs to face some criminal or civil consequences for her actions and I wish they could do the same for Gloria Allred for her part in the stunt they pulled. By not being forthright and truthfully about the content from the beginning, she has ruined her credibility. Her admission to that stunt probably just put another 3-5 percentage points in the Moore column

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I am not a Roy Moore supporter, but that woman who has admitted that she wrote with her own hand what she had passed off as written entirely by Moore on her yearbook needs to face some criminal or civil consequences for her actions and I wish they could do the same for Gloria Allred for her part in the stunt they pulled. By not being forthright and truthfully about the content from the beginning, she has ruined her credibility. Her admission to that stunt probably just put another 3-5 percentage points in the Moore column

This is a lie perpetrated by the right wing hack sites like Gateway Pundit and Breitbart. Trump New Channel reported it as well but at least corrected themselves. She wrote the place and date below his message, but the message was his.

Evan

Reaction score

This is a lie perpetrated by the right wing hack sites like Gateway Pundit and Breitbart. Trump New Channel reported it as well but at least corrected themselves. She wrote the place and date below his message, but the message was his.

Both of you are right. The various rightwing nutjob sites are claiming she admitted to forging the yearbook message, but that's an absolute lie. By the same token, she did claim that he wrote "Olde Hickory House" in her original press conference.

I have no idea why she did that. It's possible that 40 years later she simply didn't remember annotating the place/date onto the yearbook. It's also possible she thought no one would know she wrote that part.

But, I don't see how or why any criminal or civil charges would apply or why anyone would want them to. Moore claims he doesn't know any of the women and has never met them -- a lie contradicted by his own statements to Sean Hannity.

Unfortunately, people in Alabama are not given to nuance nor do they closely dig in to things and review the actual evidence. Moore's attorney was extremely careful from the get-go to claim that the yearbook message was "tampered" with. He also made a statement along the lines of "do you still maintain your claim that everything written in that yearbook was written by Roy Moore." Now, why wouldn't they flatly deny that Roy wrote in her yearbook? Why are they saying do you claim that EVERYTHING was written by Moore?

To me it stands out very clearly: Moore remembered what he signed and recognized his own handwriting. He knew he didn't write the date or place. I don't know why the victim made the original claim she did or why Allred waited weeks to address the issue. She should've immediately made a deal with a Conservative talk radio host from Alabama to have the yearbook independently examined while saying the victim misspoke at the original press conference. Many AL talk radio hosts strongly dislike Moore, but have been decently fair about the entire situation because their listeners demand it.

An independent analysis would've shown that Moore wrote the note. Probably could've gotten the results right after Thanksgiving. Allred seriously misplayed this entire situation, and I really don't understand why. All I can think is that she was afraid her client would be disbelieved if they immediately admitted to an error in their initial claims.

I don't think the ladies credibility is shot. She didn't have to have a new press conference or do an interview in which she admitted that she wrote the date/place.

I said weeks ago that a conspiracy theorist could claim that this was a planted victim meant to give credence to Moore's theory that it's a hit job. With what we know now, it seems that the lady simply didn't remember or was afraid she wouldn't be believed without concrete details.

The bottom line is that Moore wrote the message in the yearbook. His supporters were never going to believe differently. We will never know how the race could've gone had Allred been a competent representative of her victim. Or if Doug Jones hadn't been an idiot with his abortion statement and waited weeks to walk it back.

I do know this. Jones volunteers door-knocked at my home today. I was shocked. He must have a hell of a ground game and get out the vote effort if they are knocking on doors in my blood red exburb.

I see the race as being anywhere from +3 Jones to +6 Moore. I do know that if Moore wins it will be VERY BAD for Alabama.

Evan

Reaction score
Here's why I say it will be very bad for Alabama:

If you don't think our state will be boycotted and that large companies will be pressured to not locate jobs here, then you didn't pay attention during the North Carolina bathroom fiasco. If Moore wins, it will have a massively negative impact on our State's reputation and economy. The election already has. Actually electing Moore will be catastrophic.

It's not just that he's a child molester. It's his bigoted beliefs about gays, Muslims, women, and his belief that he is above the law.

People willing to vote for Moore aren't thinking about the future or their children. Not really surprising that many of the people willing to vote for him are aging Baby Boomers that don't give a crap what happens because they'll be 10 feet under in a decade. There's zero excuse for Moore to win. I don't like Jones' position on abortion either, but this has been well-debated. There's simply no cogent or logical argument that one can make in which Jones can impact Roe v Wade or judicial nominations.

Dems are going to take the House. They have a shot at winning the Senate even without Jones. With the already announced GOP retirements in the Senate (and McCain unlikely to make it too much longer), along with the coming sexual harassment mushroom cloud, there is simply zero way that Jones' vote is going to have any impact as Trump isn't getting another SCOTUS vacancy unless someone kicks the bucket, and he's unlikely to be able to fill federal judiciary spots with anti-abortion judges. Even if he were, Abortion is a cultural argument. Electing Roy Moore will set back the pro-life movement and the ability to impact cultural views on abortion more than anything I can think of. If you think average middle-of-the-road voters don't see who Moore is, or won't be turned off by his cultural beliefs then you aren't playing with a full-deck.

So, there, I said it. I think Pro-Lifers have a moral imperative to block Moore. I voting for Jones is the only way to accomplish that. There are nice pieces up on National Review Online and other Conservative outlets making the same arguments I'm making. This election isn't about abortion. But if you think it is, Moore will be way more damaging for our cause than anything Doug Jones can do.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
VICE News did a focus group in Birmingham with Frank Luntz. Some of the comments from the people are shocking.

And VICE News did a story about Doug Jones and getting the black vote, which he might not being doing well.

Reaction score
You voted for Trump well AFTER he praised Planned Parenthood numerous times. The President can actually directly affect abortion policy. Trump is not Pro-life -- don't act like people here are uneducated about his past. I don't know if you didn't read what I said (apparently anything over 100 words is very taxing to you), but I explained that Jones won't be able to have any impact on abortion legislation in the ONE year he is in office. If you dispute that then lay out a reason why.

How about actually responding to what people say instead of cheap, drive-by talking points that don't even address what is being discussed? Please list the recent anti-abortion bills that the GOP has brought for a vote in the Senate. You will never respond to this request and we both know it. If people wanted to hear irrelevant political talking points we could tune into one of the talk radio hacks you have enslaved your mind to over the part couple of years.

By the way, voting for Moore is the antithesis of Conservatism. You aren't commenting out of principle, you are essentially whining because so many Alabama voters are refusing to give your King an extra rubber stamp.

Jones is running for a ONE year term, and will block Moore from establishing himself as an unbeatable incumbent. My principles are very much intact. In fact, seeing how triggered all the Trumpservatives are about people not voting for Moore makes my case for me. Who wants to be on the side of people that put such a massive failure into the Oval Office?

You have to remember, it was Trump or little hitlery who would probably kill babies herself if given the chance.

Reaction score
Here's why I say it will be very bad for Alabama:

If you don't think our state will be boycotted and that large companies will be pressured to not locate jobs here, then you didn't pay attention during the North Carolina bathroom fiasco. If Moore wins, it will have a massively negative impact on our State's reputation and economy. The election already has. Actually electing Moore will be catastrophic.

It's not just that he's a child molester. It's his bigoted beliefs about gays, Muslims, women, and his belief that he is above the law.

People willing to vote for Moore aren't thinking about the future or their children. Not really surprising that many of the people willing to vote for him are aging Baby Boomers that don't give a crap what happens because they'll be 10 feet under in a decade. There's zero excuse for Moore to win. I don't like Jones' position on abortion either, but this has been well-debated. There's simply no cogent or logical argument that one can make in which Jones can impact Roe v Wade or judicial nominations.

Dems are going to take the House. They have a shot at winning the Senate even without Jones. With the already announced GOP retirements in the Senate (and McCain unlikely to make it too much longer), along with the coming sexual harassment mushroom cloud, there is simply zero way that Jones' vote is going to have any impact as Trump isn't getting another SCOTUS vacancy unless someone kicks the bucket, and he's unlikely to be able to fill federal judiciary spots with anti-abortion judges. Even if he were, Abortion is a cultural argument. Electing Roy Moore will set back the pro-life movement and the ability to impact cultural views on abortion more than anything I can think of. If you think average middle-of-the-road voters don't see who Moore is, or won't be turned off by his cultural beliefs then you aren't playing with a full-deck.

So, there, I said it. I think Pro-Lifers have a moral imperative to block Moore. I voting for Jones is the only way to accomplish that. There are nice pieces up on National Review Online and other Conservative outlets making the same arguments I'm making. This election isn't about abortion. But if you think it is, Moore will be way more damaging for our cause than anything Doug Jones can do.

I don't see the deviantcrat party taking anything they don't already have. Maybe a big push should have been made sooner to launch a write in campaign for someone like Bob Riley for the senate seat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is less votes than Obama received in either election that he won, and you made those exact claims about the people who supported him.

Anyone who's not a product of Yuri Bezmenov understands that VOTER FRAUD is a valuable tool for the new fascist/communist party. Today's deviantcrats combine the very worst of both fascism and communism to pose the greatest threat ever to this once great nation. If you've got the guts, watch this and learn a little bit about where your wires got crossed.

Logo 468x120
Back