• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Accuracy of free weather APIs?

groston

Reaction score
I know that weather predictions are not perfect and that there can be differences between the forecasts coming from different entities. However, the differences I am seeing between OpenWeather.org and Weather.com seem to be greater than anything I would have ever expected. For Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, these are the forecast daily high temperatures (deg F) I am seeing for Tue, 27 June 2022 through Tue, 5 July 2022:

OpenWeather.org: 76, 77, 84, 80, 77, 76, 79, 80
Weather.com: 80, 83, 91, 89, 84, 83, 86, 86

Basically, the Weather.com forecast is an average of 6 degree warmer each day as compared to the OpenWeather.org! Which of these, if either, is considered to be more reliable? (Why do I care?: I am writing a simple program for my computer to show the upcoming weather and OpenWeather.org offers a free API.)

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I too am working on a project around APIs and had similar questions. Everyone seems to pull their data from different models. I would love to know the accuracy which shouldn't be too hard to do with some of these that offer historical data as well. We use a paid service for commercial purposes but I would be glad to give you an account so you can check out our data as well. Shoot me a message if you are interested.

Back