• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Blog A Popular Hobby Has Become A Dangerous Passion - Examining the Risks Faced by Chasers

Blog posts are created by administrators and moderators. If you would like to post a guest blog let us know using the contact us form at the bottom of the page.
  • Admin
In 1996 a famous movie called Twister came out. It glorified the chase to capture footage of storms and tornadoes. The thing people miss about this movie is that while the premise attempted to gain scientific knowledge through experiments, it also demonstrated the dangers of chasing through injury and death. Many people, though, need to be heeding this warning.

Since this movie, more and more people each year take to the road to try and capture footage of these beastly storms. This leads people who are not trained to go it alone and put themselves in extreme danger by being out on the roads and in front of these storms. Often putting themselves to the east of these storms and right in their path.

Even the best storm chasers with years of experience have been killed by storms that suddenly changed or switched directions and ended up being right up on them. In 2013, Paul Samaras, Tim Samaras, and Carl Young died when an EF3 tornado in Oklahoma turned on them. They had been doing this for years, and this tornado surprised them. They had previously been safe, but this storm trapped them in the path.

Then some are breaking traffic laws, getting caught in unfortunate situations, driving tired, recklessly, or just having a regrettable accident. In March of 2022, three more storm chasers were killed in a car crash while chasing a tornado in Texas. More chasers are going to equal more accidents.

I can only find data from 2010 to 2022, but according to the Storm Prediction Center, 15 storm chasers have been killed and many more injured in that time frame. Governments and organizations are calling for increased safety measures. Some have called for better training programs, while others suggest storm chaser activity regulations. And while it will be hard to put rules on storm chasers due to the freedom to move in this country, there could be penalties for injuring or killing someone while storm chasing.

We have already seen several chasers injured and trapped in the path of storms this year, and the season has really just begun. I pray that none of these men and women who put themselves in the path of a tornado are killed. If this year's activities continue, we may very well read a story of a chaser who has passed. This will be a detriment to the chasing community, their family, and friends. We have also seen people who are not storm chasers video storms that are coming right at them. Do yourselves and your family a favor. Take shelter.

If you decide to be involved in storm chasing, you must do so responsibly. There isn't enough money in this world that is worth getting killed or severely injured trying to get a photograph or video of a tornado. It is essential to know that chasing is never a solo activity. It would be best if you had, at minimum, a driver who understands weather patterns and a navigator who knows how to read radar data and understand where storms will go.

Storm chasing is not for the amateur. Unfortunately, many amateurs are storm chasing, and this is going to continue to be a problem if people do not take it upon themselves to be trained, to work with other chasers, and to realize the limitations of their abilities to get in behind the storm and not in front of it.

Those chasers who have been killed or injured remind us of the dangers of storm chasing. Yes, the activity is thrilling, and yes, it can provide invaluable scientific data about storms and tornadoes. Still, it is more critical for chasers to prioritize safety and take the necessary precautions before and during a chase. The storm-chasing community needs to work together to develop a safety net that ensures this activity can continue responsibly.

Stay safe out there, and enjoy the chase. If you are a chaser, just make sure you come home. Alive.

God Bless
-Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Admin

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
This is every time now it seems. Someone or multiple people just film and don’t even try to shelter. It’s insane.
Yes that is crazy. This is how people get seriously injured or killed.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
People really out there trying to kill themselves today just to get some video

I'd say the bulk of storm chasers fall into one group or the other: you got seasoned and/or knowledgeable chasers who do so for the scientific and documentation aspect, fair enough. Then you have chasers who do so simply for the thrill and whose motivation primarily consists of trying to get closer footage than the chaser behind them, and scraping up some precious social media followers. Think I know where I'd put these guys...

OHWX97

Reaction score
We're coming up on a decade since the 2013 El Reno tornado, and the many lessons that should be ingrained in every storm chaser's brain have been disregarded for the most part. As long as the big money making shots involve getting recklessly close to, or even inside of a tornado, these incidents will continue to happen. I hate to sound so pessimistic, but that's the cold reality of storm chasing these days.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Something that is scary to me right now is people that dont know the difference between a Tornado Warning and Tornado Watch that go outside filming a tornado(many cases from last Friday). Why are they filming?

Just makes me wonder how many deaths this year were due to getting a good video of a tornado.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I still can’t get over that one video where the guy asked the lady who filming the Little Rock tornado as it barreled towards them if they should get inside. Only for her to insist to continue filming, almost being sucked out in the process.
I simply can’t comprehend what goes through the mind of people like that.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I still can’t get over that one video where the guy asked the lady who filming the Little Rock tornado as it barreled towards them if they should get inside. Only for her to insist to continue filming, almost being sucked out in the process.
I simply can’t comprehend what goes through the mind of people like that.
You'd think at some point the self-preservation instinct would kick in and people would think "oh god, I'm about to die" instead of "this video is gonna be awesome", but maybe the social media attention economy has broken that.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Things like we’ve seen this year are going to either end up outlawing it if this continues yearly or have it to where you need special licensing in order to do it.
I’m not sure there’s any practical way to do that since it’s hard to keep someone from just hopping in the car and driving up to a tornado. I think the best tool available is for the chasers who currently have larger platforms to be active in educating people about the dangers of what they’re doing and the need for a strong understanding of the meteorology and chasing practices to do it safely (which, to be fair, many of them already do). But, just like in other walks of life, it’s hard to keep idiots from being idiots, especially now that being an idiot is a great way to thrive in the social media attention economy.

pritchlaw

Reaction score
I’m not sure there’s any practical way to do that since it’s hard to keep someone from just hopping in the car and driving up to a tornado. I think the best tool available is for the chasers who currently have larger platforms to be active in educating people about the dangers of what they’re doing and the need for a strong understanding of the meteorology and chasing practices to do it safely (which, to be fair, many of them already do). But, just like in other walks of life, it’s hard to keep idiots from being idiots, especially now that being an idiot is a great way to thrive in the social media attention economy.
I love watching them, but the way some of them, especially Timmer, stare at their phones WHILE DRIVING and ON CAMERA is stupid. He'll be going 70 down the interstate and looking at radar, switching products and analyzing what he is looking at. Just dumb.

SmokeEater

Reaction score
It’s sad to say, but it’s going to take an El Reno like event again for chasing to get off this insanity merry go round.

You’ll still have idiots, but that event was almost 10 years ago and it’s obvious a lot of them now see that day as some sort of outlier.
Really don't think so man, El Reno didn't even slow these idiots down. And it's 100 times worse now.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Tennie

Reaction score
But, just like in other walks of life, it’s hard to keep idiots from being idiots, especially now that being an idiot is a great way to thrive in the social media attention economy.

That reminds me: In his autobiography Storm Chaser: In Pursuit of Untamed Skies (published in 1996, mind!), Warren Faidley referred to those kinds of chasers as "yahoo chasers," for reasons that should be obvious. The fact that such concerns go back even before the social media era and things have only escalated up to modern day should say a lot. What that lot is, I'll leave up to you to decide for yourself...

Back