• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We would love for you to become a part of our community.
    Take a moment to look around and join the discussion.
    CLICK HERE TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

9-5-2020 Creek Fire Pyrotornadoes (2 Viewers)

MNTornadoGuy

If it really killed that many people an argument could be made that this is the deadliest tornado in world history.
A large majority of the people were killed by the fire being "carried" by the tornado so I don't know if it would count as a direct result of the tornado.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-26 関東大震災調査報告 気象篇(藤原咲平) - NDL Digital Collections(6).png
    Screenshot_2020-11-26 関東大震災調査報告 気象篇(藤原咲平) - NDL Digital Collections(6).png
    261.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-11-26 関東大震災調査報告 気象篇(藤原咲平) - NDL Digital Collections(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-11-26 関東大震災調査報告 気象篇(藤原咲平) - NDL Digital Collections(1).png
    193.5 KB · Views: 0

MNTornadoGuy

I found some aerial imagery of the Mammoth Pool EF2 pyrotornado. I haven't mapped the entire path yet but it appears it might have been >460 yards wide at some points.
Screenshot_2020-12-28 MammothPoolTornado(3).png
Screenshot_2020-12-28 MammothPoolTornado(2).png
Screenshot_2020-12-28 MammothPoolTornado(1).png
Screenshot_2020-12-28 MammothPoolTornado.png

MNTornadoGuy

I've done some mapping of aerial imagery of the EF2 Mammoth Pool pyrotornado and it seems to have had a very large damage swath. It seems like it might have been up to ~1000 yards wide.

Last edited:
So this is interesting, some pyrotornadoes (or ashnadoes, or ash whirls, not sure what to call them) were spawned from a pyroclastic flow of a volcano:

Also, there is a vortex known as an "ash devil" that often forms in the aftermath of forest fires:

Dust devils, steam devils, snow devils, debris devils, leaf devils or hay devils, water devils, coal devils, ash devils, what's next?

MNTornadoGuy

On April 8, 1926, a lightning strike would spark a massive fire at an oil-tank near San Luis Obispo CA. The intense heat of the fire generated a pyrocumulus and thousands of whirlwinds. Some of these whirlwinds were true pyrotornadoes, the strongest of these being a killer tornado. This F2+ fire tornado traveled a mile from the fire leveling and sweeping away two cottages, uprooted/snapped fruit trees, tore the roof off of a house, and drove a 2x4 through a pump house. The first cottage was lifted several feet in the air and carried 150 ft while the second cottage was lifted 300 ft into the air and carried 100 ft. Debris was found up to 3 miles away. Two fatalities occurred at the first cottage making it the second deadliest tornado in California history.
Screenshot_2021-01-16 mwr-054-04-0161 pdf(1).png
Screenshot_2021-01-16 mwr-054-04-0161 pdf.png

Users who are viewing this thread