• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

5.7 Earthquake near Salt Lake City

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

The March 18, 2020 M5.7 earthquake north of Magna, Utah (just west of Salt Lake City) occurred as the result of normal faulting in the shallow crust of the North America plate. The focal mechanism solution for the earthquake indicates slip occurred on a moderately dipping fault striking either to the northwest, or to the south-southeast. The style, location, and depth of slip are consistent with an earthquake on the complex Wasatch fault system. This earthquake is located in the Intermountain seismic belt, a prominent north-south-trending zone of recorded seismicity in the Intermountain West, including the Wasatch Front urban corridor. The ISB region is 1000 km east of the primary North America–Pacific plate boundary which runs along the west coast of the United States.

Salt Lake City airport remains closed due to damage assessments.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
They are working hard to fight rumors of a bigger quake "forecasted".

wasatch

Reaction score
Yeah, that was not a pleasant way to wake up... shook violently for a few seconds then waves that felt like 20-30 seconds (probably a bit less)... I've lived thru 4.0ish quakes here, 5.7 was a pretty major step above that...

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, that was not a pleasant way to wake up... shook violently for a few seconds then waves that felt like 20-30 seconds (probably a bit less)... I've lived thru 4.0ish quakes here, 5.7 was a pretty major step above that...
I can only imagine! Any damage at your place or aftershocks?

wasatch

Reaction score
Two aftershocks I've felt, both in the mid 4's... they claim now about 60 total aftershocks... no damage at my place (I'm 20 miles north) but there is sporadic damage all over SLC metro, nothing too major...

Logo 468x120
Back