• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

4.8 Earthquake in Oklahoma

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Got the tweet this morning from my NWS office in Tulsa. @bjdeming isn't there some type of phenomena around earthquakes and extremely cold temperatures?

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Well, I've heard of cryoseisms, especially up in the Northeast. Never felt one, though.

The cold in Oklahoma (and many other places) is intense, but this occurred a few miles down, so it isn't frost related. Am not too skilled at reading "beachballs," but that looks like it was movement along a normal fault somewhere. (?? local geology??)

Looks like it did some shaking. Did anyone here from that area, especially around OK City or Wichita, feel it?

PS: Thanks for asking, Wes. I've been away for a while but checked back in, figuring you would mention the Persverance Mars landing in the Space forum. Sir, that play-by-play you did, and the high-quality images, are superb!

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Today there was a 3.7 to the southwest of that large one. Have looked into this a little: wastewater injection might be the culprit, though I haven't read any direct attribution. Here's a relevant USGS page.

Also, someone at the Weston Observatory shared this helpful graphic:

Back