• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

2018 Government Shutdown

Do you believe Congress actually cares about citizens?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Morning everyone! So I took a few minutes to listen to the talking heads on tv concerning the potential government shutdown. I spent 14 years as a government contractor supporting the DoD and other agencies. As a contractor the talk of a government shutdown always reminded me how our politicians are out of touch with reality. As a contractor you really never really know if you are going to be forced to use vacation or if your company would pay you. In my last few years, I was lucky enough to be labeled mission essential and was also senior management of the company I worked for.

The bottom line is that today we face a shutdown because Congress doesn't play nice with others. We have people who firmly believe in their party lines and have no care in what happens to benefit the common good of the citizens of the United States. The fact that we have been operating on continuing resolutions for almost 10 years shows that Congress has no intent stopping the practice because it so easy to use it as a weapon. This time it is CHIP and DACA that are the sticky issues of the day. I have my opinion on those programs but I'll save them for another time. The point I want to get across is that Congress as a whole doesn't care about us. They don't care that many people will go without pay or have to use up their vacation and Congress appears to have no plan to change the practice of continuing resolutions and shutdowns.

<rant over>

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As an employee of UA, do I get paid or no? I should probably know this. :D:D:D
I would think so since they are state owned. Only thing I could think of is if you are working on a program under a grant for the U.S. Government.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I remember several years ago when the government was shut down for two weeks, our family and nearly all my relatives all worked for the DoD and were furloughed with no pay for that period. Thankfully it didn't really have any substantial impact on us, but that isn't the case with many. Those with morgages, children, loan payments and all ... Would have a tough time with reduced or no paycheck.
Iirc republican senators included a reauthorization of CHIP (Children Health Insurance Program) for 6 years to entice democrats to support the budget proposal. I don't know much about CHIP but adding funding for pediatric healthcare seems like it should have bipartisan support... Not a chip to use like this is some kind of game.
We'll see how everything plays out...

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Both parties seemed comfortable in their positions going into this shutdown. It'll like depend on which party takes the biggest public opinion hit that will determine who caves. At least that's what historically happens.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
giphy.gif

Day one of the hostage situation. Both parties throwing jabs. Nothing getting done. One step closer to Idiocracy. I had never even heard of this movie until a year ago today,

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Procedural vote in the Senate (81-18) starts the process to move forward a 17 day continuing resolution to the House for approval. Senate Democrats have been assured that from Senate Republicans that if they haven't reached a deal on DACA, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will bring a vote to the floor on legislation to grant legal status to those protected by DACA. The bill also grants a 6 year extension the Children's Health Insurance Program.

It is assumed that the President will sign the bill if passed by the House.

Last edited:
Reactions: KoD
Back