• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not necessarily. There are tons of staunchly conservative southerners that have never contributed to their own retirement that are living off the teat and in debt up to their eyeballs.
Really, that’s not been my experience at all especially the Boomers raised by Depression Era parents...except for a few cases all the people I’m acquainted that are considered in the Boomer Era (even those born in the early 60’s) are successful AND hard working. Every generation has laziness...

gangstonc

Reaction score
Really, that’s not been my experience at all especially the Boomers raised by Depression Era parents...except for a few cases all the people I’m acquainted that are considered in the Boomer Era (even those born in the early 60’s) are successful AND hard working. Every generation has laziness...
The average baby boomer has 95k in debt and 152k in retirement. They are forced to live off the govt at this point, because the numbers don’t work. Those are the nationwide stats, not an anecdote.

I never mentioned laziness.

Evan

Reaction score
The United States embassy in Baghdad is at serious risk of being overrun. Haven't seen a QRF deployed yet or remote reinforcements as was supposedly urged during the Benghazi attack.

It's time for the American people and our government to understand that there are certain places that are culturally or religiously incompatible with liberal Western Democracy, and short of a full occupation and an iron-hand we'll never "convince" the people of these areas to follow our custom.

Think of all the projects and investment we could've undertaken in our country had we not blown trillions on foreign wars that have been complete strategic failures.

It is sheer hubris that each President dating back to George W has believed that they can fix the situation.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Trump fired 7 undocumented workers from his winery today. They waited until after the harvest...
Do I think Trump used undocumented workers in his winery and other parts of his business? Yep sure do. Do I believe that some of them may have used false documentation to achieve jobs? Yep sure do. Do I believe that President Trump knew about the illegal workers? Maybe but leaning more towards a yes. But I am wondering why are you worried about now Gangtonc? Do you point the same infractions out against Democrats or is it only Republicans or those you disagree with?

Aren't you for illegal immigration and employing those who immigrate illegally?

gangstonc

Reaction score
Do I think Trump used undocumented workers in his winery and other parts of his business? Yep sure do. Do I believe that some of them may have used false documentation to achieve jobs? Yep sure do. Do I believe that President Trump knew about the illegal workers? Maybe but leaning more towards a yes. But I am wondering why are you worried about now Gangtonc? Do you point the same infractions out against Democrats or is it only Republicans or those you disagree with?

Aren't you for illegal immigration and employing those who immigrate illegally?
Just pointing out the extreme hypocrisy of our president. He’s proven to be for himself and his money over all else.
I’d gladly point out the same infractions against Democrat leaders.

Evan

Reaction score

Hmm. These tweets seems to indicate that it takes days, not hours, to deploy even small groups of us military reinforcements even when the personnel are in a neighboring country. Seems to conflict with the claims that Obama and Hillary just twiddled their thumbs during Benghazi and refused to let troops a couple of hours away intercede. It's almost as if those claims were hysterical nonsense deployed out of a purely partisan process meant to discredit the Democrat's almost certain Presidential nominee in 2016.

Did anyone see video of the scene at the embassy in Baghdad? If our embassy in Baghdad was anything like the consulate complex in Benghazi, instead of one of the largest, most secure, and heavily defended US diplomatic posts in the world, the Ambassador and the entire staff of the embassy would've likely have been slaughtered Benghazi style, and there wouldn't have been much our military forces in the area could've done without taking extreme risks.

It just goes to show that angry mobs overseas typically get their way. I can't stand Hillary Clinton, and I certainly don't think Trump could've prevented today's attack on the embassy, but the hypocrisy is mind-blowing. Far be it for me to defend Hillary or Obama (or even Trump), but either these kinds of attacks are preventable, and easy to stop, or Hillary and Obama were unfairly smeared for something that Trump himself has shown unable to be able to control or improve upon.

Reaction score
Just pointing out the extreme hypocrisy of our president. He’s proven to be for himself and his money over all else.
I’d gladly point out the same infractions against Democrat leaders.

The speaker of the house and the committee chairman pushing impeachment are from and support sanctuary cities. The nullification of Federal Law. Talk about hypocrisy!

Evan

Reaction score
If millennials are turning to Communism it is mainly the fault of our education system. They have good reason not to trust our elected officials as most of them are scoundrels and rats. The establishment of both parties. The elite that has enriched themselves at our expense.

I see zero evidence of this. In fact, it's way too tidy of an answer for why some Millennials are open to Communism. It let's the elite and politicians who have failed our nation off the hook when they're the ones largely responsible for decades of failed policies, rising income inequality, crony capitalism without appreciation for basic human needs/dignity or the required social and cultural fabric necessary for strong families, an egalitarian society, and a functioning meritocracy.

No, I don't think the educational system is at fault in the way you imply. Small but vocal numbers of academics have always been promoters of communism dating back for many decades. There's no indoctrination going on. It's simply that people are no longer buying into the premise and promise of the American Dream for their generation because they've already seen clear and convincing evidence that they won't have the same opportunities or chances that their parents did.

Look at how dual incomes are now almost a pre-requisite for owning a home or having a family. There was a study that was released a month or two ago. It showed the share of wealth accumulated/owned by generations at age 30 or 35 for Baby Boomers, Gen-X, and Millennials. Boomers has a substantially higher share of the wealth and prosperity at age 30/35 than did Gen X. And the gap has become an absolute chasm with Millennials falling behind even further and at a higher rate than Gen X.

Millennials and Gen X will never get to enjoy the days of retirement at age 55, well-funded social security, the best Medicare coverage in the history of Medicare, defined benefit pensions, etc. They also don't get the benefit of affordable home ownership. It used to be possible for the MAJORITY of middle class families to purchase and own a home on just one full-time salary (at most, perhaps, some minimal part-time work by the other spouse) versus today when MANY dual income middle class Millennials cannot afford a home even with TWO full-time incomes.

The middle class has been shrinking and wages have been stagnant for decades. All the while the top few percent of the country have seen their wealth explode and their lives improve beyond measure. That contrast, particularly in comparison to the experience previous generations had, is what is leading Millennials to be open to Communism. Because the system we've had for years now is not real capitalism. It is crony capitalism and a system that is often rigged to favor the elite, the wealthy, and politicians. It's not surprising that Millennials are rejecting out faux version of capitalism in which winners and losers are often picked instead of being rewarded by a free market.

It's not that Millennials dislike capitalism or don't understand it. Or that they've been indoctrinated into Communism. It's that they've seen reform effort after reform effort fail and fall by the wayside. So why not try something else? That's their logic. Ironically, it is identical to the logic and motivation many Trump supporters had when they decided to embrace Trump and "give something different a chance." Same logic many of the Obama-Trump voters used when voting for Trump or Obama.

Our nation and the world our culture are crying out for change, but I'm not convinced it is coming the way people think it is. I think we're past the tipping point and piecemeal reforms or patchwork efforts can no longer prevent the death of the American Dream (and perhaps the American experiment in its entirety). Radical change will be required. I hope that radical change is NOT of the Communistic variety. But that's not the only risk. People seriously understate the risk that the change instead comes from a Pinochet/Mussolini/Hitler type of fascism instead.

We're at a make or break point in the history of our nation and our culture. We didn't get here just because of Boomers or Millennials or whichever group is easy to hang the blame on. Sure, the Boomers have some significant blame they need to take. But so do Millennials. And Gen X. Every generation, race, and demographic grouping has in some way contributed to our decline. Some more than others. But the only way out is through everyone working together. What are the chances of that?

Reaction score
I see zero evidence of this. In fact, it's way too tidy of an answer for why some Millennials are open to Communism. It let's the elite and politicians who have failed our nation off the hook when they're the ones largely responsible for decades of failed policies, rising income inequality, crony capitalism without appreciation for basic human needs/dignity or the required social and cultural fabric necessary for strong families, an egalitarian society, and a functioning meritocracy.

No, I don't think the educational system is at fault in the way you imply. Small but vocal numbers of academics have always been promoters of communism dating back for many decades. There's no indoctrination going on. It's simply that people are no longer buying into the premise and promise of the American Dream for their generation because they've already seen clear and convincing evidence that they won't have the same opportunities or chances that their parents did.

Look at how dual incomes are now almost a pre-requisite for owning a home or having a family. There was a study that was released a month or two ago. It showed the share of wealth accumulated/owned by generations at age 30 or 35 for Baby Boomers, Gen-X, and Millennials. Boomers has a substantially higher share of the wealth and prosperity at age 30/35 than did Gen X. And the gap has become an absolute chasm with Millennials falling behind even further and at a higher rate than Gen X.

Millennials and Gen X will never get to enjoy the days of retirement at age 55, well-funded social security, the best Medicare coverage in the history of Medicare, defined benefit pensions, etc. They also don't get the benefit of affordable home ownership. It used to be possible for the MAJORITY of middle class families to purchase and own a home on just one full-time salary (at most, perhaps, some minimal part-time work by the other spouse) versus today when MANY dual income middle class Millennials cannot afford a home even with TWO full-time incomes.

The middle class has been shrinking and wages have been stagnant for decades. All the while the top few percent of the country have seen their wealth explode and their lives improve beyond measure. That contrast, particularly in comparison to the experience previous generations had, is what is leading Millennials to be open to Communism. Because the system we've had for years now is not real capitalism. It is crony capitalism and a system that is often rigged to favor the elite, the wealthy, and politicians. It's not surprising that Millennials are rejecting out faux version of capitalism in which winners and losers are often picked instead of being rewarded by a free market.

It's not that Millennials dislike capitalism or don't understand it. Or that they've been indoctrinated into Communism. It's that they've seen reform effort after reform effort fail and fall by the wayside. So why not try something else? That's their logic. Ironically, it is identical to the logic and motivation many Trump supporters had when they decided to embrace Trump and "give something different a chance." Same logic many of the Obama-Trump voters used when voting for Trump or Obama.

Our nation and the world our culture are crying out for change, but I'm not convinced it is coming the way people think it is. I think we're past the tipping point and piecemeal reforms or patchwork efforts can no longer prevent the death of the American Dream (and perhaps the American experiment in its entirety). Radical change will be required. I hope that radical change is NOT of the Communistic variety. But that's not the only risk. People seriously understate the risk that the change instead comes from a Pinochet/Mussolini/Hitler type of fascism instead.

We're at a make or break point in the history of our nation and our culture. We didn't get here just because of Boomers or Millennials or whichever group is easy to hang the blame on. Sure, the Boomers have some significant blame they need to take. But so do Millennials. And Gen X. Every generation, race, and demographic grouping has in some way contributed to our decline. Some more than others. But the only way out is through everyone working together. What are the chances of that?

Elite politicians have failed our country. Thus Donald J. Trump.

If they are not aware of how bad communism is and how great Capitalism is then I can rightfully blame the education system.

Dual incomes argument I can agree with. It’s in my opinion true because government has involved itself in so many aspects of our lives. When ever Government gets involved and starts paying for peoples stuff(whatever it may be) costs go up.

I do think indoctrination takes place. Especially in higher education which is an oxymoron.

We are in a culture war and Donald Trump is fighting it like no other. You should celebrate the man and not ridicule him. Every argument you made points to why Trump was elected.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Elite politicians have failed our country. Thus Donald J. Trump.

If they are not aware of how bad communism is and how great Capitalism is then I can rightfully blame the education system.

Dual incomes argument I can agree with. It’s in my opinion true because government has involved itself in so many aspects of our lives. When ever Government gets involved and starts paying for peoples stuff(whatever it may be) costs go up.

I do think indoctrination takes place. Especially in higher education which is an oxymoron.

We are in a culture war and Donald Trump is fighting it like no other. You should celebrate the man and not ridicule him. Every argument you made points to why Trump was elected.
Trump was a greedy corrupt immoral businessman who is now a greedy corrupt immoral politician. He just now has the power of the government to further enrich himself and his empire.

Reaction score
Trump was a greedy corrupt immoral businessman who is now a greedy corrupt immoral politician. He just now has the power of the government to further enrich himself and his empire.

Sorry, but that’s total B.S. He has achieved more for this country in less than three years that any other president has in eight.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
No surprise you turn to the Islamist America hating president and his wife! Good for you!
No surprise you believe he's an Islamist American hater. Thus far your rhetoric and opinions seem like a conservative version of a doped up Oregon Liberal. If you can't see past the Trump charade and think he's good for this country, its domestic governance and world influence then I can imagine you actually believe Obama hates America and is Islamist. That's the real failure of our education system.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
No surprise you turn to the Islamist America hating president and his wife! Good for you!
How do you think we should solve the muslim problem in this country? Capture them and send them back to the Middle East? Put them in detention centers or concentration camps? Execution? Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back