• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstonc

Reaction score
That would be my guess. I also think there is a breaking point where the GOP stops supporting Trump and look to save the party. I think the testimony today and their response will give a clear indication of how close they are to shutting down their support.
I don't really feel like they are that close at this point. Just a hunch. I have no data to back up my claims other than they seem to have found a way to "discredit" all of the testimony so far by attacking the process. For example, Nunes spent 75% of his opening statement talking about the Russia investigation.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't really feel like they are that close at this point. Just a hunch. I have no data to back up my claims other than they seem to have found a way to "discredit" all of the testimony so far by attacking the process.
Yeah, I'm with you on that... (I should have made this more clear in my previous post) I think as we get into the weeds and hear this testimony today and as Rudy gets backed into a corner it will be interesting what comes out. Based on the amount of disinformation being put out I think they were really hoping it wouldn't get to today's testimony and they are really keeping tight lid on Rudy. Anyone actually seen Rudy recently?

gangstonc

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you on that... (I should have made this more clear in my previous post) I think as we get into the weeds and hear this testimony today and as Rudy gets backed into a corner it will be interesting what comes out. Based on the amount of disinformation being put out I think they were really hoping it wouldn't get to today's testimony and they are really keeping tight lid on Rudy. Anyone actually seen Rudy recently?
I keep remembering that Rudy says he has "insurance".

Nunes left the room for a while, came back looking somber - but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part!

Matt

Reaction score
Sonland asked Trump what he wanted from Ukraine. Nothing, nothing, no quid pro quo. Do the right thing. Tell Zalensky to do his job. Do what he ran on. That's it. Over and done with.

Matt

Reaction score

gangstonc

Reaction score
Sonland asked Trump what he wanted from Ukraine. Nothing, nothing, no quid pro quo. Do the right thing. Tell Zalensky to do his job. Do what he ran on. That's it. Over and done with.
We all know that with trump, his actions are more important than his words. Did you expect him to commit a crime in the open, outside of his inner circle?

gangstonc

Reaction score
What were his actions ?
From the testimony so far, to get Rudy to tell the ambassadors to negotiate an investigation in exchange for aid and/or a WH visit.

From these articleS, don’t think you want to see public testimony from Sandy. He noticed this was a fishy deal as well and approached counsel about it. So far, even those witnesses the Republicans thought would be on their side have either changed their story to be more damaging to trump, of been outright damaging to trump, like today.

even ken Starr says the president must be removed.

Also, sondland told us today that Pence knew.

Last edited:

Matt

Reaction score
From the testimony so far, to get Rudy to tell the ambassadors to negotiate an investigation in exchange for aid and/or a WH visit.

From these articleS, don’t think you want to see public testimony from Sandy. He noticed this was a fishy deal as well and approached counsel about it. So far, even those witnesses the Republicans thought would be on their side have either changed their story to be more damaging to trump, of been outright damaging to trump, like today.

even ken Starr says the president must be removed.

Also, sondland told us today that Pence knew.

There is no crime there. He can have a private citizen negotiate with whom ever he wants. Is Ukraine automatically supposed to get U.S. aid and a WH visit ?

gangstonc

Reaction score
There is no crime there. He can have a private citizen negotiate with whom ever he wants. Is Ukraine automatically supposed to get U.S. aid and a WH visit ?
If Congress appropriated the aid, and the DoD said they had met anti-corruption standards, yes.
As far as the WH visit goes, Ukraine is not entitled to one, but you can’t trade investigations for it. Not the proper channel and leads to corruption

but, that’s just the law...

Matt

Reaction score
If Congress appropriated the aid, and the DoD said they had met anti-corruption standards, yes.
As far as the WH visit goes, Ukraine is not entitled to one, but you can’t trade investigations for it. Not the proper channel and leads to corruption

but, that’s just the law...

They received the aid!!!!!!

Matt

Reaction score
Jim Jordan just ate Sondland alive. He was squirming in his seat and take a sip of coffee every three seconds.

Matt

Reaction score
Sondland just testified to a question from Rep. Turner that no person alive told him that Trump linked aid to an investigation or public announcement. It was his "presumption". Can't make this stuff up!

gangstonc

Reaction score
Sondland just testified to a question from Rep. Turner that no person alive told him that Trump linked aid to an investigation or public announcement. It was his "presumption". Can't make this stuff up!
Would you expect somebody to say that out loud? Come on.

Trump could communicate through Rudy. This gave him the deniability he needs.

Evan

Reaction score
That would be my guess. I also think there is a breaking point where the GOP stops supporting Trump and looks to save the party. I think the testimony today and their response will give a clear indication of how close they are to shutting down their support.

I used to believe that. I don't anymore.

This article is a good example of why I no longer believe that. The GOP is now basically saying they're going to back Trump no matter what. The evidence doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore.

I think the over/under on House GOP members voting for an article of impeachment is probably five or less. And that might be generous. They have all of their excuses and spin pre-prepared. It would be one thing if Trump had been a normal President and then the Ukraine stuff came out. But since he was elected, the GOP has gone through dozens of Trump scandals. They think he's Teflon and untouchable. They're prepared. They're not caught off guard anymore.

They've seen Trump get away with whatever he wants almost every single time, and even when he doesn't he doesn't take the blame. There's always a fall guy. I couldn't agree more that they're going to pin this on Giuliani. And, perhaps, also pin some on people like Sondland. Giuliani is incapable of presenting a decent defense, and the GOP will easily roll over on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back