• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX 2/5/2020-2/6/2020 Severe Weather

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Two killer tornado days in the state before Valentine's Day is not a great start

Jack Watkins

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
In Panama City Beach, we are under a Rip Current Statement, High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch, Wind Advisory and Tornado Watch. There are already power outages from the wind, which doesn't take much around here.

Argus

Reaction score
For only the third ever time living in Georgia (lived here since 2006), we had to go through the tornado plan. As I walked back from the designated tornado shelter, the sun came out.

Last edited:

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Unfortunately my personal weather station is having problems, so I do not know how much rain I’ve gotten in this event. I know it’s a lot, though.

Based on a nearby station, and I don’t know how accurate it is, we’ve received over 4.75” since yesterday morning.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Given trends and reports from the Carolinas I almost wonder if today is going to be the bigger of the two days in the way of damage... still an hour from noon even in the Eastern time zone

Argus

Reaction score
I've learned one thing over the past few years, the SPC's risk areas are pretty much spot on all of the time. The fact that we had a higher risk for severe weather here than Atlanta or even Birmingham got my attention.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Things are ramping up, seeing more rotation on these storms especially in NC.

Jacob

Reaction score
Things are ramping up, seeing more rotation on these storms especially in NC.

That storm ENE of Charlotte ramped up in a hurry. Very impressive rotation on it now..

Edit: I hate that the airport radars don't have CC products, TCLT is close enough to that storm to see the strong rotation, but can't verify a tornado like we could with other radars.

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There’s almost a continuous wall of flash flood warnings from the Alabama state line to the Virginia state line. Flooding might end up being the big story of this event.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Maybe a brief TDS near Girard, GA. Thankfully that’s the absolute middle of nowhere.

Kory

Reaction score
I also think it's not a good look for BMX to have dropped the entire CWA tornado watch to then have a couple tornadoes...one fatal. This all being despite guidance that continued to show an overnight threat.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Two tornado warnings in the Maryland suburbs of DC this morning, just like we all expected.

Logo 468x120
Back