• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX 12/15/21 Midwest Severe/Wind Threat

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Having heard last night that tornadoes could touch down in areas like MN with snow on the ground, I found this 20 February 2014 video of a Jacksonville, IL tornado with snow patches on the ground. But, FTR, the high there did reach 62F/17C that day.

Tennie

Reaction score
Things seem to be trending down across IA and MO as I'm writing this. We'll have to wait and see if this is it for this event or if it's only taking a temporary break before resuming its rampage.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Things seem to be trending down across IA and MO as I'm writing this. We'll have to wait and see if this is it for this event or if it's only taking a temporary break before resuming its rampage.
Agree the southern line is breaking up a bit, but there is still a very strong line showing from Iowa Falls to the MN line.

Reaction score
That looks like pretty substantial (EF2-ish, at least if the house was reasonably well built and the scale is applied properly) damage; could end up being the strongest (or at least highest-rated) tornado of the day although I haven't yet had time to go over a lot of images from other affected areas.

Coincidentally, I know A.J. Waterman. He used to work at my employer, now works at WITI Fox 6 in Milwaukee.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Nothing like tornado damaged houses with snow in their yards.

While the timing is probably different, I remember Huntsville, AL F-4 in November 1989 was followed by snow showers the next day. Also, Tuscaloosa's F-4 in December 2000 was followed by snow no more than a day later. Obviously in the above cases the snow was there BEFORE the tornado hit. EDIT That Tuscaloosa F-4 was actually 21 years ago today!

Last edited:
Reaction score
DMX/DVN seem to be among the more reasonable offices when it comes to tornado surveys & ratings, but it's been a long time since an obvious high-end violent tornado directly impacted substantial populated areas in Iowa. A positive thing of course, but it means their rating practices for such tornadoes haven't really been put to the test in the present fraught environment for that particular "science."

Reaction score
DMX/DVN seem to be among the more reasonable offices when it comes to tornado surveys & ratings, but it's been a long time since an obvious high-end violent tornado directly impacted substantial populated areas in Iowa. A positive thing of course, but it means their rating practices for such tornadoes haven't really been put to the test in the present fraught environment for that particular "science."
I tend to really like the NWS in Des Moines. They are usually consistent on how they rate their tornadoes.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The forward speed of some of these tornadoes is astonishing; essentially automatically an EF2 sledgehammer on the right side just due to the speed. Some based on path length and start/end time 90+ mph. What an incredible event; coming just five days after the ostensibly most violent and deadly December outbreak just takes it to surreal territory

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
61 tornadoes in a state within a few hours is mind blowing. Also remember this got a special day 3 upgrade to marginal. This event was historic in so many ways.

Back