• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Svr Wx threat April 1-April 2 2024

amp1998

Reaction score
Latest GFS and the EURO are pretty robust with the low level jet, with the NAM being kind of an outlier. Tuesday is starting to look rough from the Ohio Valley down to the Tennessee Valley especially if this trends a tad bit stronger.
1000003114.gif

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Latest GFS and the EURO are pretty robust with the low level jet, with the NAM being kind of an outlier. Tuesday is starting to look rough from the Ohio Valley down to the Tennessee Valley especially if this trends a tad bit stronger.
View attachment 24539
Would definitely agree - that slowing trend of the main trough has really allowed Tuesday to look quite concerning in some aspects as the best wind fields coincide with peak heating over the Midwest. In fact, without trying to sound too dramatic, the general trough shape, low placement and available moisture isn't a million miles of the March 2nd 2012 outbreak (though I would be surprised at this point if we saw something of that magnitude).
I think its reasonable to assume a mostly discrete mode given the nature of forcing - and in terms of parameters, the NAM is undoubtedly the most aggressive at this stage, showing a scenario which would favour intense-violent tornadoes:

1711880613260.png

It is most definitely an outlier compared to other models on this front, likely because the latest 06z run seemed to uptrend the LLJ significantly - but other models were not too far off (GFS, ECM). As of right now - I think the tornado risk is present, but very uncertain. However, these next few days should be watched very closely as it would really not take much to push this towards significant outbreak territory. On the other hand its possible the few models with a much weaker LLJ and different trough placements (UKMET, ICON) may well be correct.

Clancy

Reaction score
CIPS honing in on MS/AL/GA for a severe threat Tuesday. CSU is similar, but extends the threat up into the TN and OH Valleys. Available models show increasingly favorable wind fields, which would likely support a tornado threat with the forecast robust QLCS forecast to move trough Tuesday evening. Sounding attached from near Anniston, AL.
PRALLC01_gfs215F072.pngdownload (1).pngsevere_ml_day3_gefso_040312.png
nam_2024033106_066_33.76--85.7.png

UK_EF4

Reaction score
In terms of trough shape and placement, I'm really starting to think that (concerningly) 4/16/1998 is quite a good analog to Tuesday's threat:

1711904395328.png1711904409487.png

I still doubt we will see something of that magnitude (in addition to the earlier comparison to 2012), but with that positive tilt trough enhanced flow over the Midwest - does go to show Tuesday has got concerning potential. A lot depends on how that outflow boundary from earlier storms develops (as the HRRR and other cams show) which could cut off the northern half of the warm sector. Additionally, some models were showing much weaker low level shear for Tuesday, which would be another big limiting factor (though its worth noting that going off ERA reanalysis, the 1998 event didnt seem to have overly impressive low level shear either). Definitely going to watch for model trends/changes with regards to those two factors over the next day and a bit.

JPWX

Reaction score
In terms of trough shape and placement, I'm really starting to think that (concerningly) 4/16/1998 is quite a good analog to Tuesday's threat:

View attachment 24548View attachment 24549

I still doubt we will see something of that magnitude (in addition to the earlier comparison to 2012), but with that positive tilt trough enhanced flow over the Midwest - does go to show Tuesday has got concerning potential. A lot depends on how that outflow boundary from earlier storms develops (as the HRRR and other cams show) which could cut off the northern half of the warm sector. Additionally, some models were showing much weaker low level shear for Tuesday, which would be another big limiting factor (though its worth noting that going off ERA reanalysis, the 1998 event didnt seem to have overly impressive low level shear either). Definitely going to watch for model trends/changes with regards to those two factors over the next day and a bit.
That ended up being a High Risk event for North MS and North Alabama as well.

Clancy

Reaction score

View attachment 24548View attachment 24549

The trusty juxtaposition in force for Tuesday - that the wind fields may be weaker where instability is stronger, as opposed to the February setups where the issue is vice versa. That being said, the shear still looks more-than-adequate for tornadoes, especially towards the OH Valley, and we'll have to watch carefully for any shortwaves that may enhance shear.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

This could become a pretty substantial event in the Ohio Valley if that wave stays coherent through the day and gets some phasing from the northern stream. Prior convection also a concern.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This at the very end of the 12z 3km NAM, but I pulled this sounding from the Portsmouth, OH area. The surface winds are a lot more backed than they are further to the west earlier in the day which is definitely a red flag.

nam4km_2024033112_060_38.85--82.76.png

Back