• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Southeast Svr Wx threat April 8-11, 2024

Reaction score
Yeah, think the safe bet here so far is a pretty heavy rain maker - maybe a few severe storms if any sort of convective system forms.

I definitely don’t believe we’re going to be having the same conversations about this system that we did about last Tuesday’s.

KevinH

Reaction score
Yeah, think the safe bet here so far is a pretty heavy rain maker - maybe a few severe storms if any sort of convective system forms.

I definitely don’t believe we’re going to be having the same conversations about this system that we did about last Tuesday’s.
Same… I have not seen anything to say otherwise… YET

hahahahhahhahaahha

JPWX

Reaction score
Total 10 day rainfall amounts off UKMET, GFS, Euro, and NOAA BLEND

Attachments

• UKMET 17 km Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 168.png
    UKMET 17 km Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 168.png
    538.2 KB · Views: 0
  • NOAA _ BLEND V4.1 Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 240.png
    NOAA _ BLEND V4.1 Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 240.png
    266.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9-km ECMWF USA Cities Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 240.png
    9-km ECMWF USA Cities Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 240.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 0
  • GFS 50-STATES USA Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 240.png
    GFS 50-STATES USA Total Precipitation Total Precipitation 240.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 0

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
It's 84 hours out (so Wednesday afternoon), so I'd take it with a grain of salt, but here's the latest NAM box sounding for a large area in Louisiana/Mississippi under the gun. Large curved hodographs, DPTS in the 70s, 2500+ CAPE, 900 DCAPE, LR near 6, and STP/SCP/SHIP parameters pretty high. The GFS/Euro don't seem sold on a threat of this caliber, so it could well be the NAM doing NAMmy things. But interesting to look at.

1712496005525.png

1712496039334.png

KevinH

Reaction score
It's 84 hours out (so Wednesday afternoon), so I'd take it with a grain of salt, but here's the latest NAM box sounding for a large area in Louisiana/Mississippi under the gun. Large curved hodographs, DPTS in the 70s, 2500+ CAPE, 900 DCAPE, LR near 6, and STP/SCP/SHIP parameters pretty high. The GFS/Euro don't seem sold on a threat of this caliber, so it could well be the NAM doing NAMmy things. But interesting to look at.

View attachment 25176

View attachment 25177
A related post from Twitter:

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Yeah, the more I'm seeing coming in about Wednesday the more it doesn't look good. Here's the HazCast machine-learning algorithm, showing a > 20% chance of a tornado within 25 mi in LA/MS. I'm suspecting a 30% ENH area from the SPC if trends continue.

1712516672461.png

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
So the 18z NAM (Oh, I accidentally sampled the 12z...but the 18z is crazy too) has some absolutely nutty parameters. I can't even think most of these will verify, but it's not a good look for Wednesday.This is for far northeast Louisiana (point sounding) for Wednesday afternoon/evening. The STP is near the high-end of even the EF4+ range.

1712527174016.png

For my own infotainment purposes, I've also been developing a model (pretty basic compared to some of the more advanced AI's like STORM-NET, but still interesting to me) to predict tornadic supercells. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the sounding above is off the walls high-end, but it's nice to see my model does call for a SIG tornado (EF2+) if this were to verify. I'll probably be playing with this model some during the events this week to see how it performs on real-time data.

1712527398986.png

Back