• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

J-Rab

Reaction score
You could also write about:

1908 Amite-Purvis outbreak.

1970 Lubbock.

1979 Red River (WF).

1971 Delta outbreak.

or

The 1920 MS/AL outbreak that was similar in many ways to 2011.

Okay, I’ll stop making suggestions now.

Reaction score
You could also write about:

1908 Amite-Purvis outbreak.

1970 Lubbock.

1979 Red River (WF).

1971 Delta outbreak.

or

The 1920 MS/AL outbreak that was similar in many ways to 2011.

Okay, I’ll stop making suggestions now.
I think it might be best for him to combine his 1884 Enigma outbreak with other noticeable yet poorly-documented outbreaks into a single article at one point (so, 1840 Natchez, 1875 outbreak, 1884 outbreak, 1908 Dixie outbreak, 1920 Dixie outbreak, 1932 Dixie outbreak, etc.) and maybe go all the way up to 1966 Candlestick Park or 1971 Delta outbreak. But that might be a bit overambitious at this point lol.
Really, he needs to just write a book and get it published eventually.

J-Rab

Reaction score
I think it might be best for him to combine his 1884 Enigma outbreak with other noticeable yet poorly-documented outbreaks into a single article at one point (so, 1840 Natchez, 1875 outbreak, 1884 outbreak, 1908 Dixie outbreak, 1920 Dixie outbreak, 1932 Dixie outbreak, etc.) and maybe go all the way up to 1966 Candlestick Park or 1971 Delta outbreak. But that might be a bit overambitious at this point lol.
Yeah, that would be too much, I’m afraid… though I am pretty generous with Loco’s time, haha.

I don’t know how much he could find out about the 1920 outbreak but that has always interested me greatly. Maybe because it is so similar to the 2011 outbreak… at least geographically speaking.

1932 as well. 1908 Amite-Purvis, probably because it is so close to home (I live in Hattiesburg now and lived in Amite for two years).

locomusic01

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing about this stuff. I know it was a massive amount of work for you, but I (and others) enjoy it so much and greatly appreciate it. For weather nuts like us, it is very difficult to find enough stuff to read, and your articles are always exceptional. I look more forward to them than you know.

As for what to do next… Udall came to my mind immediately. I very much enjoyed your Woodward and Pomeroy articles and doing Udall would be very interesting IMO.

Grand Isle… I don’t know why but that just never caught my attention very much. I’m sure you would make it interesting, but the outbreak itself just isn’t something that I actively try to research. Really, about the only thing that interests me very much with that outbreak is the meteorological setup and why so many of them were anti-cyclonic tornadoes.

While I’m talking about that… I really enjoy the meteorological setup portion of your articles. That is one of my favorite parts of your writing. You can’t go into too much detail there for me. I would love for you to write about the setup on 4/3/1974. That was so complicated, you could probably just do the setup for an entire article, lol.

I do find the ‘74 outbreak fascinating but I realize it is so enormous that you’d likely never finish. Maybe an article about each F5? One write-up for each F5?

Anyway, that is some thoughts on what you might do next.
I really appreciate that man, thanks! I definitely get what you mean about Grand Island. I've wanted to write about it for a long time because I'm fascinated by the weirdness and chaos of it all, but at the same time I'm not sure how well it'd translate into an article. Crystal Lake (the F4) is really the only tornado that did major damage to populated areas, and while some of the damage was really intense, it basically only covered like a couple of blocks. That's sort of good in that it'd keep the article shorter/more manageable, but it might not be all that compelling unless you're just really into the weird meteorological aspect of it.

Speaking of which, I'm glad to hear you like the meteorology-focused sections because I dread writing them lol. I always have a hard time trying to find a balance between providing a solid breakdown and covering unique/interesting aspects of the event vs. keeping it accessible to people who aren't necessarily wx nerds.

Re: the Super Outbreak, I occasionally have bursts of ambition (and/or foolishness) every once in a while and start dipping my toes into doing research, digging for photos, etc. in the hope that I might be able to put something together some day, but eventually I come to my senses and run away as fast as I can. I have considered just limiting myself to the F5s but I'm not sure I have that much self-restraint.

J-Rab

Reaction score
I really appreciate that man, thanks! I definitely get what you mean about Grand Island. I've wanted to write about it for a long time because I'm fascinated by the weirdness and chaos of it all, but at the same time I'm not sure how well it'd translate into an article. Crystal Lake (the F4) is really the only tornado that did major damage to populated areas, and while some of the damage was really intense, it basically only covered like a couple of blocks. That's sort of good in that it'd keep the article shorter/more manageable, but it might not be all that compelling unless you're just really into the weird meteorological aspect of it.

Speaking of which, I'm glad to hear you like the meteorology-focused sections because I dread writing them lol. I always have a hard time trying to find a balance between providing a solid breakdown and covering unique/interesting aspects of the event vs. keeping it accessible to people who aren't necessarily wx nerds.

Re: the Super Outbreak, I occasionally have bursts of ambition (and/or foolishness) every once in a while and start dipping my toes into doing research, digging for photos, etc. in the hope that I might be able to put something together some day, but eventually I come to my senses and run away as fast as I can. I have considered just limiting myself to the F5s but I'm not sure I have that much self-restraint.
Yeah, it is just selfish of me to want a 4/3/74 article from you. As thorough as you are, it would likely take years.

I really would love to read your writing on the meteorology side of it though. It was an incredibly complicated setup that had so many things going on. It is fascinating to me.

locomusic01

Reaction score

Yeah, that would be too much, I’m afraid… though I am pretty generous with Loco’s time, haha.

I don’t know how much he could find out about the 1920 outbreak but that has always interested me greatly. Maybe because it is so similar to the 2011 outbreak… at least geographically speaking.

1932 as well. 1908 Amite-Purvis, probably because it is so close to home (I live in Hattiesburg now and lived in Amite for two years).
I've shied away from 4/20/20 because I know it would drive me absolutely nuts not being able to find the info & photos I needed. Probably the only way it'd be feasible is if you could get around to a bunch of universities, libraries, historical societies, etc. across the region and dig through their archives. Bit outside of my scope unless there's a particularly generous millionaire out there looking to fund an obscure, nerdy weather blog. Fingers crossed!

I did start on the 1920 Palm Sunday outbreak at one point though, which is somewhat less infuriating to research.

Reaction score
If the Dodge City tornado family of May 2016 had occurred closer to/in the city, it probably would have been a lot like Grand Island although with not quite as bizarre paths.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm reading through the Ontario section of the article and for the first time, looking over the affected areas on Google Maps. Speaking of nightmare "duckpins" scenarios, the trajectory of the supercells/tornado families this day was such that if one had been a little further to the south, it could have directly hit portions of Kitchener, Guelph, Mississauga (or Brampton), Toronto (or Markham) and Oshawa.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've shied away from 4/20/20 because I know it would drive me absolutely nuts not being able to find the info & photos I needed. Probably the only way it'd be feasible is if you could get around to a bunch of universities, libraries, historical societies, etc. across the region and dig through their archives. Bit outside of my scope unless there's a particularly generous millionaire out there looking to fund an obscure, nerdy weather blog. Fingers crossed!

I did start on the 1920 Palm Sunday outbreak at one point though, which is somewhat less infuriating to research.
4/20/1920 could be like February 1884, your entry for that is good given the paucity of information available on it; in fact there's more photographic evidence from 4/20/1920 then there is the 1884 Enigma outbreak, based on what I've been able to dig up on newspapers.com

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've only had time to skim through the 5/31/1985 article at the moment, but saying you did a good job with this one would be an extreme understatement. This kind of quality writing is the kind that people actually DESERVE to be paid for!

I have plenty of suggestions for what your next article could be, though if I were you I would be more concerned about making sure I don't burn a hole in my brain lol.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the second Tanner tornado of 1974 went up into Tenn. Also in ‘74, the supercell that put down the first Tanner tornado went over Hackelburg and put down an F2 in Phil Campbell that was the precursor to Tanner1. There are just so many that are in that Corridor.

Even some Mississippi tornadoes, if you follow the path they were on will lead up into that area of Northern Alabama. Smithville leads up that way. Tupelo is another. Heck, the 1920 Hackelburg tornado started in Aberdeen.

And like you mentioned, others like the 1971 Delta and the Yazoo City occurrences… if you follow those paths up, eventually lead into Northwest AL.

The Tuscaloosa/Birmingham corridor also leads back to another area of MS that sees a lot of violent tornadoes: Neshoba county (Philadelphia) and Meridian.

It is like there are two pathways that run Northeast through MS and AL. One runs generally through the Philadelphia/Meridian region and then up to Tuscaloosa/Birmingham. The other from the Columbus/Aberdeen area up into far North AL in the Hackelburg/Russellville/Moultan/Tanner region.

Ive been interested in those two areas for a long time now.
I spent over 25 years in Smithville or close by in Amory and I can honestly say I was kinda not surprised with the Smithville tornado just the severity of it. We had so many intense storms come through there and just get stronger as they crossed the state line just to our east. We had and probably still have a lot of people that live in Smithville but work(ed) in Alabama so the line blurs in a lot of things with our everyday life not excluding weather.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I'm reading through the Ontario selection of the article and for the first time, looking over the affected areas on Google Maps. Speaking of nightmare "duckpins" scenarios, the trajectory of the supercells/tornado families this day was such that if one had been a little further to the south, it could have directly hit portions of Kitchener, Guelph, Mississauga (or Brampton), Toronto (or Markham) and Oshawa.
All things considered, Grand Valley took a ridiculously fortunate path. Even just two miles further south would've taken it straight down the highway through Arthur, Orangeville (~15k pop in 1985 IIRC) and Newmarket (~35k pop), among other places. As it was, the path basically weaved around Orangeville and Tottenham and then threaded the needle between Newmarket and West Gwillimbury. Really only Grand Valley itself was a direct hit, and even then the tornado clearly wasn't at peak intensity.

I'm fascinated by these kinds of near-misses, and there were a bunch of them in this outbreak. So much so that I felt a little self-conscious repeatedly writing some variation of "and then the tornado shifted at the last second."

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Came across a bunch of Super Outbreak stuff lately, including photos from Hackleburg–Phil Campbell, Rainsville, Ringgold, Tuscaloosa and others, but for now I'll throw this out there.

I think we can finally close the case on the construction of those apartment buildings in Phil Campbell. This isn't the exact one that was mostly slabbed, though all of these buildings were nearly identical in construction. Brick veneer and anchor bolted sill plating, seems pretty well constructed to me.
Screenshot_20220608-222152.jpg

The only other tornado I can think of that slabbed a brick veneer apartment building is Louisville MS 2014 (Bridge Creek–Moore '99 did partially slab an apartment building at F5 intensity, though I don't know much about its construction). Remarkable stuff.

Anyways, don't know if you guys are as sick of hearing about this tornado as my family members are, but I'll post more photos from several of the Super Outbreak tornadoes next time around. Promise.

Reaction score
On topic of the Super Outbreak, Tuscaloosa near Birmingham looked terrifying.
birmingham or kane.jpg

In fact, given this particular Kane description...
What they saw could hardly be described as a funnel. It looked as though the entire storm had crashed to the earth; a vast, pitch-black mass rolling over and through everything in its path.
..it wouldn't surprise me that, if people had modern day cameras and phones in 1985, stuff like this is what we would have seen coming out of Kane.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Btw, I added headers and a table of contents to my article, which should hopefully make it a bit easier to navigate. I realize a lot of people aren't necessarily stoked about the idea of sitting down and reading a single article for like two hours straight lol

locomusic01

Reaction score
I wonder, was Richard Bomboy recording on his video feed of the touchdown of the Albion tornado? Kind of a shame if he wasn't.
Yeah, I've mentioned him a few times before (though not by name). It's my understanding that he did start recording at some point before the tornado, although it's not clear whether he kept the tape or where it might be now. Hopefully some day it'll turn up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back