• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/25-4/26, 2024 - (Thursday, Friday)

buckeye05

Reaction score

Home with anchor bolts (poured concrete basement with stem walls) looks to have been swept away in Minden.

Uh yeah, that’s violent damage. Thinking both Elkhorn And Minden both deserve EF4 ratings at this stage. Maybe Sulphur too, but I’m not as confident about that one.

Edit: Sounds like Sulphur is high-end EF3. I’m fine with that honestly. 160 for Minden though?? Hmmmm idk about that, especially with the DOW measurements. Also it is probably not going to sit well with me if Elkhorn isn’t upgraded either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welp...turns out the construction in Nebraska is mostly shotty. Alot of those homes in the elkhorn subdivision got marked as ef2...home slid off the foundation.

Reaction score
Do 99.9% of the homes in America fail at EF3 winds? Someone correct me if I’m wrong because I’m not an expert on this stuff, but It seems like the last few EF4s weren’t rated as such because of damage to homes, but other buildings. Like the flower shop at Rolling Fork.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Apologies if these posts were already shared, can't recall.

Ok so this actually isn’t as impressive as it looks. Big house, but nails pulled directly out of the wooden subfloor, causing the house to collapse in a heap. This design renders anchor bolts pretty much useless when it comes to securing the walls. Seen it time and time again.

Still, that house near Bennington that had its basement exposed is enough for EF4 imo, even if the above house falls short. All it takes is one.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Do 99.9% of the homes in America fail at EF3 winds? Someone correct me if I’m wrong because I’m not an expert on this stuff, but It seems like the last few EF4s weren’t rated as such because of damage to homes, but other buildings. Like the flower shop at Rolling Fork.
It’s a combination of poor construction AND overly-conservative damage surveying. We’ll see how this shakes out, but there’s a solid chance, like usual, that a few EF4-deserving tornadoes fall short of that designation when all is said and done.

Reaction score
It’s a combination of poor construction AND overly-conservative damage surveying. We’ll see how this shakes out, but there’s a solid chance, like usual, that a few EF4-deserving tornadoes fall short of that designation when all is said and done.
Pretty frustrating isn't it. The last tornado to be rated an EF4 before the Marietta tornado in the US was Keota, Iowa on March 31, 2023.

A Guy

Reaction score
Uh yeah, that’s violent damage. Thinking both Elkhorn And Minden both deserve EF4 ratings at this stage. Maybe Sulphur too, but I’m not as confident about that one.

Edit: Sounds like Sulphur is high-end EF3. I’m fine with that honestly. 160 for Minden though?? Hmmmm idk about that, especially with the DOW measurements. Also it is probably not going to sit well with me if Elkhorn isn’t upgraded either.
The context works heavily against rating the Minden tornado higher - the neighbouring house has barely more than EF1 damage at greatest. The big question is - how did the destroyed house actually fail?

That said, 160 - are they using the new revised speeds which lowered the low bound 5 mph? To allow WFOs to even more egregiously underrate tornadoes?

buckeye05

Reaction score
The context works heavily against rating the Minden tornado higher - the neighbouring house has barely more than EF1 damage at greatest. The big question is - how did the destroyed house actually fail?

That said, 160 - are they using the new revised speeds which lowered the low bound 5 mph? To allow WFOs to even more egregiously underrate tornadoes?
Yeah, I thought about the context thing, but I can’t help but think this could be one of those rare situations where the “compact spot of violent damage from a sub vortex” thing could actually apply. Trust me, I’m all about using context to upgrade and downgrade, but given the nature of this specific tornado, the other potential explanation isn’t unreasonable.

EDIT: Ninja’d

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

A tight damage gradient like that can actually mean a more intense tornado at times (or just erratic damage patterns from multiple vortices).

Reaction score
Because the government says that this event was just short of your expectation and they control eveything. SO if it is an EF3 at 160 or EF4 at 170 that is not your concern....and we should have ALREADY become accustomed to this, with ALL of the extensive debates over the past 10 to 13 years.