• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive Severe threat April 26-27, 2011

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

Fred Gossage, on 25 April 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:

And I would hope, if they issue a watch for part of Alabama for this line tonight.... the flavor is blueberry.

mmmmmm.... blueberry...

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Jason Echols
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

Guys...that bow around Jackson, TN looks vicious.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
TiffyTerror87
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

Normally I love severe wx, but I want it to go away I have a sick newborn child at LeBonheur and don't want these storms screwing anything up :-/ *sigh*

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
EquusStorm

Well, time for a long-time lurker to actually start posting. And what better a time than immediately preceding a substantial tornado outbreak.

I would take all reports coming out of Arkansas with a grain of salt... although damage appears to have been substantial, there's no way of knowing just HOW severe it was until sunrise... and after the sensational immediate reports begin to subside. Still though I bet we see at least one or two EF-4's in this current outbreak.

And finally I would hope that bow echo currently in progress isn't anywhere nearly as destructive as it looks on radar.

Pointless post, I know... lol

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Tyler Penland

Fred Gossage, on 25 April 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yes.

lol
Alrighty then :)
I prefer strawberry pie though. 'Specially from fresh strawberries. Mmmm. I'm gettin hungry.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Charles Loring

Fred Gossage, on 25 April 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:

And I would hope, if they issue a watch for part of Alabama for this line tonight.... the flavor is blueberry.

With them mentioning the potential for tornadoes...it wouldn't surprise me if they go Tornado Watch, but this should be a SVR T'storm Watch with 20% tornado probs. and higher damaging wind probs. maybe 60-70%.

And Jackson gusted to 70 mph with this line..

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Katrina Runs
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:44 PM
Jason Echols, on 25 April 2011 - 11:39 PM, said:

Guys...that bow around Jackson, TN looks vicious.

I was going to school in that area when the '99 tornadoes hit. They got slammed again in '08. Let's hope this one passes on by

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
weatherguy
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

New Thunderstorm watch that includes NW Alabama counties till 5 am.

Edited by weatherguy, 25 April 2011 - 11:46 PM.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Kolle
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

Well, the watch issued for North Alabama is blueberry flavored. I cannot find a link about it to the SPC, but WHNT is reporting it.
Back to CraigyFerg, folks.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
TimHSV
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

Fred Gossage, on 25 April 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yes.

And you got your wish sir....Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 5am for Colbert..Franklin..Lauderdale..Lawrence...and Limestone Counties. Main threat is damaging wind

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

EquusStorm, on 25 April 2011 - 11:42 PM, said:

Well, time for a long-time lurker to actually start posting. And what better a time than immediately preceding a substantial tornado outbreak.

I would take all reports coming out of Arkansas with a grain of salt... although damage appears to have been substantial, there's no way of knowing just HOW severe it was until sunrise... and after the sensational immediate reports begin to subside. Still though I bet we see at least one or two EF-4's in this current outbreak.

And finally I would hope that bow echo currently in progress isn't anywhere nearly as destructive as it looks on radar.

Pointless post, I know... lol

I would agree about jumping to conclusions is dangerous. However, I don't take many things Reed Timmer reports with a "grain of salt." Say what you want about Reed, but he is really good at what he does and he actually saw the damage it seems. He has a lot to lose with over dramatizing and over hyping the severity of an event. If Reed is saying this could be an EF-5, then I would almost put money on it being at least an EF-4. I wouldn't call a Reed Timmer report "sensational." We all know the drama aspect of Discovery's Storm Chasers, but when it comes to actual storm reports, Reed's reports hold more water than most.
Edited by ZackH, 25 April 2011 - 11:51 PM.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Charles Loring
Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

ZackH, on 25 April 2011 - 11:51 PM, said:

I would agree about jumping to conclusions is dangerous. However, I don't take many things Reed Timmer reports with a "grain of salt." Say what you want about Reed, but he is really good at what he does and he actually saw the damage it seems. He has a lot to lose with over dramatizing and over hyping the severity of an event. If Reed is saying this could be an EF-5, then I would almost put money on it being at least an EF-4. I wouldn't call a Reed Timmer report "sensational." We all know the drama aspect of Discovery's Storm Chasers, but when it comes to actual storm reports, Reed's reports hold more water than most.

Have to agree with you there Zack. I may not care much about his "style" and what not...but he is good at storm chasing and does give great and reliable reports that benefit a lot of people. When he does speak up, people listen and for good reason.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
EquusStorm
Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:05 AM

Nah, I'm not questioning Reed's report, as he's one of the best out there at what he does; just saying that it will take a storm survey to determine structural integrity of buildings said to have been destroyed. Even an EF-3 can pretty effectively ruin a town. Or something like that.
Edited by EquusStorm, 26 April 2011 - 12:07 AM.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:10 AM

EquusStorm, on 26 April 2011 - 12:05 AM, said:

Nah, I'm not questioning Reed's report, as he's one of the best out there at what he does; just saying that it will take a storm survey to determine structural integrity of buildings said to have been destroyed. Even an EF-3 can pretty effectively ruin a town. Or something like that.

I certainly understand that. I witnessed some of the damage in Sanford, NC near the collapsed Lowe's myself when I was chasing. However, if indeed, roads were "scoured" and a large section of the town is "gone" then there isn't much debate that we're looking at something greater than an EF-3. You will not see scoured roads with an EF-3... sorry.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
EquusStorm
Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:13 AM

ZackH, on 26 April 2011 - 12:10 AM, said:

I certainly understand that. I witnessed some of the damage in Sanford, NC near the collapsed Lowe's myself when I was chasing. However, if indeed, roads were "scoured" and a large section of the town is "gone" then there isn't much debate that we're looking at something greater than an EF-3. You will not see scoured roads with an EF-3... sorry.

True. Kind of fearing what kind of damage pictures we shall see in Arkansas once the sun rises...

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:19 AM

EquusStorm, on 26 April 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

True. Kind of fearing what kind of damage pictures we shall see in Arkansas once the sun rises...

I most certainly must agree with you on that one!

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
vegaseagle
Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

I believe that line is entering Alabama faster than some thought. Also, there are some storms breaking out in the front now.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Jason Echols
Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

It appears to me that the line is actually ahead of schedule.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

vegaseagle, on 26 April 2011 - 12:40 AM, said:

I believe that line is entering Alabama faster than some thought. Also, there are some storms breaking out in the front now.

Those storms out front you speak of aren't much and it may approach faster than thought, but that doesn't change the fact at all that the air is much more stable that far East. The dynamics just aren't that conducive to tornadic development in AL right now. Could we see some QLCS sigs? Of course, but this will not be a significant event for the rest of the night/morning by any means other than some wind reports and one or two possible brief spin ups.

Back