• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Historic April 27-May 1 2024 Midwest Storms

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
* At 539 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located 17 miles southeast
of Spearman, moving east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and hail up to two inches in diameter.

SOURCE...Live storm chaser video confirmed tornado.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Still really impressive on radar. Thankfully looks like it’s basically in the middle of nowhere.

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 600 PM CDT FOR WEST
CENTRAL HALL AND EAST CENTRAL BRISCOE COUNTIES...

At 548 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located 7 miles northeast of
Caprock Canyon State Park, and is nearly stationary.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and ping pong ball size hail.

SOURCE...Emergency management confirmed a brief tornado touchdown. A
tornado was reported at 5:46 PM CDT 7 miles north of Turkey.

storm further to the south

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Nope, those winds simply didn’t reach the ground. Just like with the El-Reno tornado in 2013, they couldn’t even find contextuals that warranted a higher rating.

This really drives home that radar estimated winds are universes away from gospel when determining intensity.

Most ef5 tornadoes or tornadoes that did ef5 contextuals didn’t have the most impressive velocities on radar. I think it’s best if people don’t freak out about how bad the damage could be until actual ground truth comes out.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The tornado could've very well been significant, but there's no way of knowing due to the lack of damage indicators.
Maybe, but according to this video of the damage path, that doesn’t seem to be the case at all. I think the red flag was the CC not even being over 10,000ft.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="jiharris0220, post: 116234, member: 1717"

This really drives home that radar estimated winds are universes away from gospel when determining intensity.

[/QUOTE]

Especially the closer you get to the radar it seems.

Oops, formatting error

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
So, it seems the worst damage Norman could find for the Hollister tornado was "high end EF-1".

So just what made the radar go nuts like that? Feedback?
They were not able to access much of the path due to flooding and/or lack of safe roads. I wouldn't be drawing too many conclusions about "radar estimated windspeeds" with this one. It was in a very rural area with few structures or even trees to hit.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Spearman warning downgraded to radar indicated, but still looks highly suspicious. Also, the SVR-warned cell south of Gove City, KS is probably gonna need a TOR soon

edit: now warned

OHWX97

Reaction score
Maybe, but according to this video of the damage path, that doesn’t seem to be the case at all. I think the red flag was the CC not even being over 10,000ft.

Thanks for sharing this video, I haven't seen it yet! The damage definitely seems to support the high-end EF1 rating. This was a very large, multivortex tornado over a rural area though. I do question if those structures were exposed to the strongest winds, or not.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
They were not able to access much of the path due to flooding and/or lack of safe roads. I wouldn't be drawing too many conclusions about "radar estimated windspeeds" with this one. It was in a very rural area with few structures or even trees to hit.
Not sure if this is shade towards me considering the quotations.

But I strongly stand by what I said in that this tornado simply wasn’t as strong at ground level despite what the radar displayed, which of course was hundreds of meters up anyways.

As the video I linked above shows, there’s simply nothing that even remotely hints at significant damage, even the few trees in the path of the tornado got off easy all things considered.

Last edited:

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Not sure if this is shade towards me considering the quotations.

But I strongly stand by what I said in that this tornado simply wasn’t as strong at ground level despite what the radar displayed, which of course was hundreds of meters up anyways.

As the video I linked above shows, there’s simply nothing that even remotely hints at significant damage, even the few trees in the path of the tornado got off easy all things considered.
Is this from the main tornado or is this from the anticyclonic tornado?

Back