• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

U.S. Space and Rocket Center in immediate danger of closing permanently

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
They need to raise $1.5 million by the end of October to remain open.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – The U.S. Space and Rocket Center announced it may permanently close at the end of October if it can’t raise enough money.

Through the Save Space Camp campaign, the USSRC is calling on Space Camp alumni, residents of Alabama, and visitors from around the world to keep the center open.

If successful, the center will stay open and Space Camp will reopen in April 2021.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I may be proven wrong, but I anticipate some of the Huntsville companies kicking in the necessary funds. I have a sense the Davidson family will want to keep the Davidson Center functional.

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I may be proven wrong, but I anticipate some of the Huntsville companies kicking in the necessary funds. I have a sense the Davidson family will want to keep the Davidson Center functional.

I agree. Zero chance they don't raise the funds. If UAH Hockey can do it in a week, certainly USSRC can do it in 3 months.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not sure I have actually ever disclosed this on TalkWeather but I run a blog about the rocket center called Sprocketeers. I'm pretty hard on them when it comes to money but ever since their CEO 'retired' last year, I've been impressed with how they have been handling things. This year, which is the Sprocket's 50th anniversary, was set to be a good one with a few million in the bank at the start of 2020 and sell out camp attendance. Naturally, COVID-19 threw that plan in the garbage and they have worked really hard to keep staff on, try to reopen (which I didn't agree with), and try to get revenue flowing for the long slow winter months. Sadly at this point, they just won't make it without help. While the headline is scary I have confidence they will pull through with some additional planned labor cuts and more than likely closing the museum for the winter. They hit the $500k mark this morning and I'm hoping everyone keeps spreading the need.

As someone who withheld my donations because the old CEO felt she should lease a Tesla Model "S" and travel the world, I can without hesitation tell you that this need is genuine. The current leadership is doing everything possible to minimize costs at this point and I feel they will survive to have an amazing 2021 season.

If you are interested in donating - http://savespacecamp.com
Shameless plug for my blog post about the efforts to raise money - https://sprocketeers.org/2020/07/savespacecamp/

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Good news. With thanks to Boeing and SAIC the center surpassed their $1.5 million goal.

(yup shameless plug for my blog)

Evan

Reaction score
I really wish they could get permanent funding and get on a path to sustained financial stability.

I definitely want Space Camp to be around for years to come...

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I really wish they could get permanent funding and get on a path to sustained financial stability.

I definitely want Space Camp to be around for years to come...
Yeah they have come a long way. They had almost 3 million in the bank in March which is the most stable they have been in years. But then 2020 happened... Their quasi-state government agency status has almost always been a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Forrest White

Reaction score
The British space industry is developing rapidly these days. New company Skyrora represents a new breed of private rocket companies developing the next generation of launch vehicles for the burgeoning small satellite market https://www.skyrora.com/

Logo 468x120
Back