• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Shelters - a request for information and discussion.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
As this year's Tornado/Severe weather season ramps down, and prior to Hurricane season possibly starting to increase, I wondered if we could start a discussion about the better above and below ground storm shelters. We are looking to move back to a more tornado-prone area in Texas and my family lives in MS and Bama, so I wanted to hear what you guys would put your family in.

I have seen above ground safe rooms and below ground traditional shelters, along with the garage shelter above and below rooms. What do you consider the advantages, disadvantages, costs expectations, questions to ask providers, features you would like, how to put connectivity for information for weather changes inside, necessary things to put in there, etc.

I hope this will start some discussion over the summer that might prove to be beneficial to everyone here and those they care about. I hope this turns into a living thread where folks can add information as they find it to share.

Thanks

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One of our members Extreme Weather was installing safe rooms and/or shelters..

Personally, I’d like the safe room...

MikeAthensAl

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4IPO
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would never have one of those shelters that are in the garage floor. Garages typically have stored chemicals including gasoline in them. If that stuff starts spilling out it is going to be down in the pit with you. God forbid a fire starts and you are in there. A well built interior safe room that doubles as a walk in closet is most appealing to me. It is usually accessible quickly and can also be used as a panic room if necessary. Put a good heavy duty locks on the door and it can also be a pretty decent vault to store valuables and weapons.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah visited the storm shelter showroom in Huntsville and the whole idea of going down into a hole in your garage just doesn't appeal to me. Don't get me wrong if it was my only protection I would do it but I always have the fear that a car would flip over and couldn't get out until someone finally comes to check on you. I know the newer ones have a lift system but yeah just feels like a coffin under there. The free standing rooms are the route I would take. They have good impact ratings and you see them hold up in the aftermath. Never thought about using one as a vault - good idea @MikeAthensAl

Back