• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Historic April 27-May 1 2024 Midwest Storms

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The storms' proximity to the radar site may have made these tornadoes look somewhat more violent than their actual intensities. Radar returns are rules, not laws. But with that said, I would not expect radar returns like these to be associated with weak tornadoes.

Clancy

Reaction score
The storms' proximity to the radar site may have made these tornadoes look somewhat more violent than their actual intensities. Radar returns are rules, not laws. But with that said, I would not expect radar returns like these to be associated with weak tornadoes.
Especially considering the movement of that first tornado, whatever damage it did was likely quite intense.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
If you were talking about a reflectivity debris ball or a CC debris signature, I would agree, but in the case of the velocity signatures, that close proximity to the radar means those higher velocity speeds are much closer to ground level.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
141kts of VROT is not something to ignore. Again, only El Reno 2013 beats that. There's no way this isn't at the very least an EF4, at least in terms of intensity.
That's ~324mph of GTG shear at only about 500-600 feet above ground. That is absurd.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If you were talking about a reflectivity debris ball or a CC debris signature, I would agree, but in the case of the velocity signatures, that close proximity to the radar means those higher velocity speeds are much closer to ground level.
Didn't know that, thanks.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
141kts of VROT is not something to ignore. Again, only El Reno 2013 beats that. There's no way this isn't at the very least an EF4, at least in terms of intensity.
That's ~324mph of GTG shear at only about 500-600 feet above ground. That is absurd.
Ground truth is just as, if not more important than radar returns if we're talking about determining tornado intensity.
Definitely some insane couplets though. Haven't seen ones this intense since... eh... a few days ago. Very reminiscent of Elkhorn if you ask me.

Back