• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Historic April 27-May 1 2024 Midwest Storms

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Would anyone consider May 2003 as a potential analog to this upcoming event and/or pattern?

BTW anyone know of a good website where I can access the past 500mb pattern for different years/months?
That is most certainly an analog, although on the most powerful roids imaginable.
And the best website I could find is this one from Columbia University. Which shows the -PNA which caused those 7 days of terror well.

1713667932029.png
https://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/maproom/Global/Atm_Circulation/Monthly_Height_500hPa.html?bbox=bb:-170:15:-40:75:bb&T=May 2003

JPWX

Reaction score

JPWX

Reaction score
Both the 00z and 6z GEFS continue to shows consistency for late next week thru weekend. It also shows the first disturbance that @andyhb alluded to moving thru between the 25th/26th timeframe with the BIG trough coming out between the 27th/28th.

Attachments

• 500wh-mean.conus (4).png
    500wh-mean.conus (4).png
    630.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 500wh-mean.conus (3).png
    500wh-mean.conus (3).png
    625.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 500wh-mean.conus (2).png
    500wh-mean.conus (2).png
    618.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 500wh-mean.conus.png
    500wh-mean.conus.png
    627.8 KB · Views: 0

atrainguy

Reaction score
Had a tornado warning in West Michigan until 10. I don't think we were even under a marginal severe risk (at least that part of the state, could be wrong though).

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of rain in the models the next couple weeks here in for Central Texas.The models are definitely forecasting a lot of stormy weather for this part of the country in the next couple weeks.

KevinH

Reaction score
From the southern Plains to Dixie Alley it should say. I've heard that too @CheeselandSkies but to me "cold air" if any would be mostly confined to the Northeast U.S. That area of below normal anomalies over the Deep South I don't buy. If anything It's gonna get warm over the Eastern US. That western trough is just asking for trouble
Welp.. this seems to be aging well :oops:

Back