• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Threat 4/18-4/19

lake.effect

Reaction score
Tornadoes can occur in severe thunderstorm watches you know that right? And like I said, there are multiple warnings alerting people of what’s happening.
I’m not even going to argue your “poor performance” assertion as it’s simply false.
But this is getting off topic now.
Right, but when you get 8 tornado warnings in a severe thunderstorm watch, you've completed failed as a meteorological agency.

Clancy

Reaction score
That really is a huge TOR polygon, reminds me of the one FFC issued on 3/18/2013. Giving old-timey warning vibes. This is far from the first time storms have gone tornadic when not explicitly forecasted; heck, a bunch of the TORs we get around here end up being random storms in the summer or late fall that decide to go ham, which have comprised several close calls.
1713482913165.png

MichelleH

Reaction score
The only people that really can criticize the SPC or NWS are those that have worked or volunteered in a NWS office. (Which we have members that have.) If you haven't, and have no idea what all it entails, zip it.

Edit - and if you're wondering, yes, I have. Student volunteer at BMX July 2009. Btw, they work 12-hour shifts. Except during weather events when they stay until it's over, no matter how long they've been there.

lake.effect

Reaction score
You do realize one of the criteria for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning is a tornado right?
And...? If a tornado outbreak is expected, does the SPC issue severe thunderstorm watches? No, they issue watches that are aligned with the highest degree of risk expected. I.e., a tornado watch.

@Michelle - disagree with you here. SPC is a government agency. Our tax dollars support it. I don't need to know the inner workings of an SPC office to know if they're doing a good job or not. And in my judgment, they are not.

/end of ranting

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone or anything should be above criticism.

I can think of instances here where the criticism for the SPC was near-universal. Such as no Tor-E by Paducah for Mayfield when it was obvious the quad state cell was going to hit it comes to mind.

I’ve also seen users criticize the SPC for being too conservative or too slow on commenting on a possible event down the line in an AFD. So it’s okay for some to rip the SPC but not others?

It just seems lately there’s a poster on here that takes everything personal. It’s the same guy that feels the need to remind everyone after every event that the SPC’s forecast verified. They also take everything personal when anyone comments on the performance of an event or has any sort of dissenting opinion and immediately get accused of being “WXTwitter”. Which is rich because that same user was calling 4/3-4/4 event last year a bust five days before it happened. Now he gets all up in arms if you say a moderate with only 10 severe reports “underperformed”

This should be a place for free discussion if all parties are being polite, not cliques and picks.

Last edited:

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone or anything should be above criticism.

I can think of instances here where the criticism for the SPC was near-universal. Such as no Tor-E by Paducah for Mayfield when it was obvious the quad state cell was going to hit it comes to mind.

I’ve also seen users criticize the SPC for being too conservative or too slow on commenting on a possible event down the line in an AFD. So it’s okay for some to rip the SPC but not others?

It just seems lately there’s a poster on here that takes everything personal. It’s the same guy that feels the need to remind everyone after every event that the SPC’s forecast verified. They also take everything personal when anyone comments on the performance of an event or has any sort of dissenting opinion and immediately get accused of being “WXTwitter”. Which is rich because that same user was calling 4/3-4/4 event last year a bust five days before it happened. Now he gets all up in arms if you say a moderate with only 10 severe reports “underperformed”

This should be a place for free discussion if all parties are being polite, not cliques and picks.
You’re the only one who’s been taking jabs at me, which makes your comment about me taking things personal quite humorous.
Now let’s stick to talking about the weather yeah?

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Ignoring the fellow accusing me of starting arguments while actively trying to start an argument.
I caution people who live in the central IL area to watch out as there is still plenty of helicity for this linear system to produce spin up tornadoes.

Clancy

Reaction score
The storms at the north end of the IL MCS are spitting out a lot of mesos, and the slight circular motion of the storms themselves seems to be aiding it somewhat. Way above my brain cells to figure out how that works (that's why OU folks suffer through all those math courses, eh?), but it sure looks funky on velocity loop. Even without tornadoes, the winds on this line are pretty wicked, sustained by modest instability, okayish LRs ahead of the line and it seems just enough shear to cause issues. Hodographs ahead of the MCS are actually fairly curved.
1713485870037.png
1713485840800.png

Clancy

Reaction score
With this surprise environment it’s quite fortunate the hrrr supercell printer solution didn’t play out.
It does have a semi discrete mode forming in Arkansas but shear is negligible at best.
Yeah, doubtful anything substantial gets going down there (although I've learned to never turn my back on weird storms).

The Midwest MCS sure is crankin', though. PDS SVR now.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
It’s a shame because I try to be as none confrontational as possible and caution unsubstantiated rippings at an agency dedicated to saving lives.
But some people don’t take too kindly to that apparently, but oh well. ‍
A moderator was kind enough to make a new thread to redirect people back to the important issue at hand though.

Back