• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Say goodbye to Greek alphabet names

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Really...
"There can be too much focus on the use of Greek alphabet names and not the actual impacts from the storm," the WMO stated in a press release. "This can greatly detract from the needed impact and safety messaging."

I feel this is more acceptable reason
"There is confusion with some Greek alphabet names when they are translated into other languages used within the Region. The pronunciation of several of the Greek letters (Zeta, Eta, Theta) are similar and occur in succession. In 2020, this resulted in storms with very similar sounding names occurring simultaneously, which led to messaging challenges rather than streamlined and clear communication."

Reaction score
Really...
"There can be too much focus on the use of Greek alphabet names and not the actual impacts from the storm," the WMO stated in a press release. "This can greatly detract from the needed impact and safety messaging."

I feel this is more acceptable reason
"There is confusion with some Greek alphabet names when they are translated into other languages used within the Region. The pronunciation of several of the Greek letters (Zeta, Eta, Theta) are similar and occur in succession. In 2020, this resulted in storms with very similar sounding names occurring simultaneously, which led to messaging challenges rather than streamlined and clear communication."

I agree. That and I really don't think they expected any storms with Greek names to merit retirement so soon (second-ever use of the list, and Beta 2005 was close). Probably just thought they'd be used for post-season open Atlantic spin-ups like Delta, Epsilon and Zeta in 2005.

An auxiliary list of names that can be retired in the usual fashion is a much better solution.

Back