• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Reaction score
cattle | ALL HAT NO CATTLE | image tagged in funny memes,donald trump | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

If you look at the results the past two years you would find that to not be the case. Just look at your 401K. Also, how many illegals have you invited to your home ?

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
If you look at the results the past two years you would find that to not be the case. Just look at your 401K. Also, how many illegals have you invited to your home ?
What results? Repeal Obamacare? Reduce the deficit? Stop the discord and unite Americans? I admit he did sell America's soul for 30 pieces of silver (i.e. tax cuts) but that's coming with a cost (soaring deficits and debt). If you want to rate a President on the stock market's performance, your 401k did way much better under Obama than Trump (+148% vs. +34%) so Trump has a long way to go to match Obama with that. If he gets a 2nd term, he will top Obama in total national debt accumulated though. Trump is the all-time greatest President tweeter though and that is no contest. Pretty amazing he can do all that fighting those terrible bone spurs.

We've had a kid from Spain living with us since last Aug. I'm tapped out for right now. How bout you? How many you got or plan on taking in?

Matt

Reaction score
What results? Repeal Obamacare? Reduce the deficit? Stop the discord and unite Americans? I admit he did sell America's soul for 30 pieces of silver (i.e. tax cuts) but that's coming with a cost (soaring deficits and debt). If you want to rate a President on the stock market's performance, your 401k did way much better under Obama than Trump (+148% vs. +34%) so Trump has a long way to go to match Obama with that. If he gets a 2nd term, he will top Obama in total national debt accumulated though. Trump is the all-time greatest President tweeter though and that is no contest. Pretty amazing he can do all that fighting those terrible bone spurs.

We've had a kid from Spain living with us since last Aug. I'm tapped out for right now. How bout you? How many you got or plan on taking in?

Look at the job growth, Economic success, lessening of the food stamps roles, lowest black, Hispanic and Asian unemployment ever. GDP 3%, unemployment 3.7%. New trade deals that will produce positive results in years to come. I asked you earlier today if you have looked at your 401K In case you don't know that's your retirement plan. I assume all non essential government employees have one. If yours has not grown it must mean you're a poor money manager. Also Ghost, the regulations that have been retracted to allow business to expand> ANWAR is now open, pipelines are being constructed. Commerce is growing. That's all good!

gangstonc

Reaction score
You're an absolute idiot. Look at the job growth, Economic success, lessening of the food stamps roles, lowest black, Hispanic and Asian unemployment ever. GDP 3%, unemployment 3.7%. New trade deals that will produce positive results in years to come. I asked you earlier today if you have looked at your 401K In case you don't know that's your retirement plan. I assume all non essential government employees have one. If yours has not grown it must mean you're a poor money manager. Also Ghost, the regulations that have been retracted to allow business to expand> ANWAR is now open, pipelines are being constructed. Commerce is growing. That's all good!
See my post earlier about trumps campaign promises. Also, don’t call people an idiot in the internet.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Not always an admirable trait. You wouldn’t say it to his face, so don’t say it here.
LOL... so Matt called me an idiot before he edited it. I'm not surprised. He's a tough guy when he has his MAGA hat on. Matt if you like your 401k during Trump's years you must have adored it under Obama.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
All this talk of illegals reminds me of a Reddit story many years back.

This past year I have had 3 instances of car trouble. A blow out on a freeway, a bunch of blown fuses and an out of gas situation. All of them were while driving other people's cars which, for some reason, makes it worse on an emotional level. It makes it worse on a practical level as well, what with the fact that I carry things like a jack and extra fuses in my car, and know enough not to park, facing downhill, on a steep incline with less than a gallon of fuel.

Anyway, each of these times this stuff happened I was DISGUSTED with how people would not bother to help me. I spent hours on the side of the freeway waiting, watching roadside assistance vehicles blow past me, for AAA to show. The 4 gas stations I asked for a gas can at told me that they couldn't loan them out "for my safety" but I could buy a really crappy 1-gallon one with no cap for $15. It was enough, each time, to make you say stuff like "this country is going to hell in a handbasket."

But you know who came to my rescue all three times? Immigrants. Mexican immigrants. None of them spoke a lick of the language. But one of those dudes had a profound affect on me.

He was the guy that stopped to help me with a blow out with his whole family of 6 in tow. I was on the side of the road for close to 4 hours. Big jeep, blown rear tire, had a spare but no jack. I had signs in the windows of the car, big signs that said NEED A JACK and offered money. No dice. Right as I am about to give up and just hitch out there a van pulls over and dude bounds out. He sizes the situation up and calls for his youngest daughter who speaks english. He conveys through her that he has a jack but it is too small for the Jeep so we will need to brace it. He produces a saw from the van and cuts a log out of a downed tree on the side of the road. We rolled it over, put his jack on top, and bam, in business. I start taking the wheel off and, if you can believe it, I broke his tire iron. It was one of those collapsible ones and I wasn't careful and I snapped the head I needed clean off.

No worries, he runs to the van, gives it to his wife and she is gone in a flash, down the road to buy a tire iron. She is back in 15 minutes, we finish the job with a little sweat and cussing (stupid log was starting to give), and I am a very happy man. We are both filthy and sweaty. The wife produces a large water jug for us to wash our hands in. I tried to put a 20 in the man's hand but he wouldn't take it so I instead gave it to his wife as quietly as I could. I thanked them up one side and down the other. I asked the little girl where they lived, thinking maybe I could send them a gift for being so awesome. She says they live in Mexico. They are here so mommy and daddy can pick peaches for the next few weeks. After that they are going to pick cherries then go back home. She asks if I have had lunch and when I told her no she gave me a tamale from their cooler, the best tamale I have ever had.

So, to clarify, a family that is undoubtedly poorer than you, me, and just about everyone else on that stretch of road, working on a seasonal basis where time is money, took an hour or two out of their day to help some strange dude on the side of the road when people in tow trucks were just passing me by. Wow...

But we aren't done yet. I thank them again and walk back to my car and open the foil on the tamale cause I am starving at this point and what do I find inside? My freaking $20 bill! I whirl around and run up to the van and the guy rolls his window down. He sees the $20 in my hand and just shaking his head no like he won't take it. All I can think to say is "Por Favor, Por Favor, Por Favor" with my hands out. Dude just smiles, shakes his head and, with what looked like great concentration, tried his hardest to speak to me in English:

"Today you.... tomorrow me."

Rolled up his window, drove away, his daughter waving to me in the rear view. I sat in my car eating the best tamale of all time and I just cried. Like a little girl. It has been a rough year and nothing has broke my way. This was so out of left field I just couldn't deal.

In the 5 months since I have changed a couple of tires, given a few rides to gas stations and, once, went 50 miles out of my way to get a girl to an airport. I won't accept money. Every time I tell them the same thing when we are through:

"Today you.... tomorrow me."

My personal experience with illegals is that they are the most polite and patient people I've ever taken care of, on par with sweet old memaw's and pawpaw's. Growing up in Texas too I never had a conflict with any of them and never saw them have a conflict with anyone else either. It's outrageous to me that they get demonized so harshly when they seem to have a better ratio of being upstanding respectable people instead of buttheads or criminals. Sure there's bad eggs out there, but I see a lot more bad in the average populous. Certainly we can vet these folks and integrate the good ones into our community. I believe doing that would pay off for our country in the long run, more so than doing what we're doing now.. more so than thinking and speaking like Trump and Matt, assuming the worst in people and weakening our resolve. Stooping to greater lows. We discuss 401k's and investing for our personal future? Let's have some sense to help America have a good future too. Walls, hatred and isolation hasn't done well for people and governments in the past. I'm not saying we get rid of borders and open up the country to everyone, but we really should put more effort into getting this right.

Last edited:

Arcadia

Reaction score

Did you just equate taking in a foreign exchange student to taking in an illegal immigrant?

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Did you just equate taking in a foreign exchange student to taking in an illegal immigrant?
No.. not at all. But it is an added drain on the family resources but we have been blessed to have him

gangstonc

Reaction score
Last edited:

Matt

Reaction score
LOL... so Matt called me an idiot before he edited it. I'm not surprised. He's a tough guy when he has his MAGA hat on. Matt if you like your 401k during Trump's years you must have adored it under Obama.

I'll refrain from name calling in the future. Actually ghost, my 401K is performing better now than in the Obama years. Trumps market performance is based on actual economic growth and lower taxes, regulations, etc. The growth during the Obama years was due to years of quantitative easing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back