• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There is no crime there. He can have a private citizen negotiate with whom ever he wants. Is Ukraine automatically supposed to get U.S. aid and a WH visit ?
Ummmm the Logan Act would disagree with that.

§ 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments.

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
How many people have been prosecuted under the Logan Act ?
2 indictments, 0 convictions. In 1994 they updated the wording to remove a fine and make violation a felony. Just because there is little or no prosecution under the act, doesn't make it any less legal. Most people are just smart enough not to tempt fate. And then there is Rudy.

Matt

Reaction score
2 indictments, 0 convictions. In 1994 they updated the wording to remove a fine and make violation a felony. Just because there is little or no prosecution under the act, doesn't make it any less legal. Most people are just smart enough not to tempt fate. And then there is Rudy.

John Kerry shuold be tried under this Act don't you agree ?

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
John Kerry shuold be tried under this Act don't you agree ?
Assuming you mean his trip to Iran in 2018 to convince Iran to keep the nuclear deal after Trump pulled out? Yeah that would be actually pretty debatable in my mind. But if you consider that you have to consider Michael Flynn should be looked at for negotiating with Russia before Trump took office.

gangstonc

Reaction score

I don't really know who this Maloney guy is, but I liked how he handled the situation. Everybody involved needs to be honest from the start. That's what our gov't needs more than anything.

Matt

Reaction score
Is Sondland telling a fib ?

<Admin Edit / WesL : Since @Matt did not include a description I will add one for him. This clip shows Ambassador Sondland discussing what President Trump told him in regards to his discussions with the President of Ukraine.>

Matt

Reaction score
From the testimony so far, to get Rudy to tell the ambassadors to negotiate an investigation in exchange for aid and/or a WH visit.

From these articleS, don’t think you want to see public testimony from Sandy. He noticed this was a fishy deal as well and approached counsel about it. So far, even those witnesses the Republicans thought would be on their side have either changed their story to be more damaging to trump, of been outright damaging to trump, like today.

even ken Starr says the president must be removed.

Also, sondland told us today that Pence knew.

If he is so damaging to the president, why isn't Schiff calling him to testify ?

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
At this point I think Megan McCain has nailed where we are with impeachment testimony. Feels like we are in the Hangover and it just gets worse and worse.

gangstonc

Reaction score
At this point I think Megan McCain has nailed where we are with impeachment testimony.

I think Ken Starr has it better, just not as funny. I like how he kind of lays it out in a day-by-day kind of evaluation.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

I think Ken Starr has it better, just not as funny. I like how he kind of lays it out in a day-by-day kind of evaluation.
Wow that is a great article. Thanks for sharing! I'm curious what the evening spin shows will say just because it will be interesting to see if there are any GOP supporters that start to break the ranks of support.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Wow that is a great article. Thanks for sharing! I'm curious what the evening spin shows will say just because it will be interesting to see if there are any GOP supporters that start to break the ranks of support.
I really don't think you will see any break in ranks prior to a trial in the Senate. In a Senate trial, I think they will stand together as long as there isn't a smoking gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back