• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skelly

Reaction score
Thinking the government should intervene and deny marriage licenses to a certain sect of people that don’t fit their criteria isn’t anti-LGBT? What is it then?

If we believe marriage is a right guaranteed by the Constitution (I.e., the government is involved in issuing marriage licenses so therefore they’re involved heavily), then Focus on the Family are promoting discrimination under rule of law. Personal views aside, the government cannot pick and choose who gets a government granted right and associated benefits. Sorry.

They actively lobbied for a federal amendment promoting that the federal government exclude a LGBT people from marriage. I don’t care what they believe as a church. I have a problem when they use arbitrary classifications of who is entitled to the government granted benefits of a particular license...in this case marriage.

I can’t argue with anyone that think male and female are arbitrary terms.

Kory

Reaction score
I can’t argue with anyone that think male and female are arbitrary terms.
Biological male and female aren’t. I didn’t say otherwise. But why are heterosexual people the only ones allowed to benefit from marriage under the law? Or adopt? These are all positions firmly held by Focus on the Family.

Please answer these questions.

skelly

Reaction score
Biological male and female aren’t. I didn’t say otherwise. But why are heterosexual people the only ones allowed to benefit from marriage under the law? Or adopt? These are all positions firmly held by Focus on the Family.

Please answer these questions.

Of course that’s an argument that unfortunately in today’s culture needs time and many layers of onions to peel. You could start with writings of John Paul II if you really want to think about.

Unfortunately now some states and countries Catholic charities have to get out of the adoption business for upholding Catholic beliefs and principles. So lobbying for the upholding of male female marriage in the secular government world did matter.

Matt

Reaction score
You know he can't comment on that. For once the cognitive dissonance may be too much. He's been conspicuously absent from the Dorian/Trump discussion. I think it's finally a case of not even Matt is can defend Trump's lunacy in this situation.

Trump effed up on that. It was pointed out. No big deal. He is still far better than the nuts on the left.

Matt

Reaction score

He lied. again.

And the numbers would have been even worse without census hiring

We have over 7 million job openings. More than people looking to fill them. 3.7% unemployment. 135K jobs is not that bad all things considered. Did you see Jerome Powell's remarks today ?

Evan

Reaction score
Trump effed up on that. It was pointed out. No big deal. He is still far better than the nuts on the left.

I appreciate you at least admitting that Trump screwed up. Now, if Trump had chosen to simply say "hey, I made a mistake in my tweet, I've got a lot on my plate" or said "I went off of stale info from my last briefing and wanted people to be safer rather than sorry" then the entire story would've been over long ago.

He chose not to do that, Matt, and his reason for doing so is solely about his own ego and wounded pride and not about the good of the country. That this has continued to be a story is 100% on Trump for continuing to double down.

It doesn't actually seem like you disagree with any of that.

Don't you think that Trump defenders who continue to try to defend every tiny little thing Trump says are doing more harm to him than helping him grow as a leader? Someone needs to convince the guy that he's frequently his own worst enemy, and that his destructive tweeting and inability to ever admit a mistake are distracting him from doing some of the things on his agenda that would actually be seen as positive by a majority of Americans. Trump hurts himself on a weekly basis more than the media ever could.

Matt

Reaction score
I appreciate you at least admitting that Trump screwed up. Now, if Trump had chosen to simply say "hey, I made a mistake in my tweet, I've got a lot on my plate" or said "I went off of stale info from my last briefing and wanted people to be safer rather than sorry" then the entire story would've been over long ago.

He chose not to do that, Matt, and his reason for doing so is solely about his own ego and wounded pride and not about the good of the country. That this has continued to be a story is 100% on Trump for continuing to double down.

It doesn't actually seem like you disagree with any of that.

Don't you think that Trump defenders who continue to try to defend every tiny little thing Trump says are doing more harm to him than helping him grow as a leader? Someone needs to convince the guy that he's frequently his own worst enemy, and that his destructive tweeting and inability to ever admit a mistake are distracting him from doing some of the things on his agenda that would actually be seen as positive by a majority of Americans. Trump hurts himself on a weekly basis more than the media ever could.

Trump does things that make me cringe sometimes. I'm just not going to get on here and bash Trump. Y'all do a pretty good job of that. Trump does not like to admit a mistake. Character flaw I guess. I don't think Trump takes advice well. He does what he wants and that's that. Perhaps he will change in the upcoming election. All that said, Trump is doing his job despite the best efforts of the media, democrats and a good number of Republicans and the bureaucratic deep state. And trust me it does exist. He has survived an attempted coup and I hope the IG's upcoming reports expose it for the country to see.

gangstonc

Reaction score

U.S. job growth on slowest pace since 2010:
#Job growth since 2008 (millions)
2008: -3.56
2009: -5.06
2010: +1.06
2011: +2.09
2012: +2.14
2013: +2.30
2014: +2.99
2015: +2.71
2016: +2.24
2017: +2.06
2018: +2.56
2019: +1.107 (Jan-Aug.)
(Labor Dept./Bureau of Labor Statistics)

Kory

Reaction score
I’m confused. People complain when wages aren’t up when monthly job numbers are good. When wage growth is up, people complain the jobs added aren’t good enough. Can we have both?

Evan

Reaction score
I was afraid this might happen, but I truly hoped that NOAA was apolitical enough and cared about science and its employees enough to not do something like this. From the moment I saw the Birmingham NWS tweet being quoted in MSM articles I knew that the Trump Administration might go after them.

This is simply unbelievable and is doing extreme damage to the reputation of one of the best WFOs in the entire country. This absolutely sickens me beyond belief. The Birmingham NWS was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT to issue the tweet that they issued. Alabama Mets were being inundated with inquiries after Trump's tweet about possible impacts to Alabama.

Check out Spann's recent video at the one hour and six minute mark. He talks about the sudden insane burst of activity questioning how bad Dorian was going to impact Alabama after Trump's tweet. Anyone that knows Spann probably knows where his political and moral beliefs lean in his personal life, so he's not some media liberal with an axe to grind.

Evan

Reaction score
Trump does things that make me cringe sometimes. I'm just not going to get on here and bash Trump. Y'all do a pretty good job of that. Trump does not like to admit a mistake. Character flaw I guess. I don't think Trump takes advice well. He does what he wants and that's that. Perhaps he will change in the upcoming election. All that said, Trump is doing his job despite the best efforts of the media, democrats and a good number of Republicans and the bureaucratic deep state. And trust me it does exist. He has survived an attempted coup and I hope the IG's upcoming reports expose it for the country to see.

Matt, I understand your point of view here. I truly do. I appreciate your thoughts on this. And your right, it is a character flaw that I think we should all hope he learns to overcome. Unfortunately, until he is able to do so, there can be serious repercussions for his stubbornness and inability to admit a mistake.

Please see my post above about NOAA basically undermining and casting doubt on the Birmingham NWS for doing this job. You know this will have serious repercussions for the reputation of the Birmingham NWS, and that is one of the most uncalled for and absurd things that Trump has ever been responsible for. His inability to let this go has directly caused this, and everyone on this forum should be absolutely furious about this.

Evan

Reaction score

Kory

Reaction score
Wow. I am beside myself over NOAA doing this. Way to create distrust between the public and their own branch of local forecast offices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back