• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstonc

Reaction score
All you Russia collusion nut jobs, is this ok to all of you ?

From wiki:

In 2012, Epstein publicly disputed with Google Search over a security warning placed on links to his website.[10] His website, which features mental health screening tests, was blocked for serving malware that could infect visitors to the site. Epstein emailed "Larry Page, Google's chief executive; David Drummond, Google's legal counsel; Epstein's congressman; and journalists from The New York Times, The Washington Post, Wired, and Newsweek."[10] In it, Epstein threatened legal action if the warning concerning his website was not removed, and denied that any problems with his website existed.[10] Several weeks later, Epstein admitted his website had been hacked, but criticized Google for tarnishing his name and not helping him find the infection.[11]

After this incident, Epstein offered other criticism of Google's practices. In 2013, he wrote in Time magazine that Google had "a fundamentally deceptive business model".[12][13] In 2015, he said that Google could rig the 2016 US presidential election and that search engine manipulation was "a serious threat to the democratic system of government".[14] According to Epstein, "Perhaps the most effective way to wield political influence in today's high-tech world is to donate money to a candidate and then to use technology to make sure he or she wins. The technology guarantees the win, and the donation guarantees allegiance, which Google has certainly tapped in recent years with the Obama administration."[14]

Throughout 2016, Epstein discussed the possibility of Google search algorithm manipulation in favor of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.[15][16] He estimated in a September article that as many as three million votes in the upcoming election could be shifted as a result.[17] In 2017, former head of Google Search Amit Singhal directly disputed this, claiming that "Google has never ever re-ranked search results on any topic (including elections) to manipulate user sentiment."[18]

In a 2017 article, Epstein criticized efforts by companies such as Google and Facebook to suppress fake news through algorithms, noting "the dangers in allowing big technology companies to decide which news stories are legitimate".[19]

Other journalists and researchers have expressed concerns similar to Epstein's. Safiya Noble cited Epstein's research about search engine bias in her 2018 book Algorithms of Oppression,[20] although she has expressed doubt that search engines ought to counter-balance the content of large, well-resourced and highly trained newsrooms with what she called "disinformation sites" and "propaganda outlets".[21] Ramesh Srinivasan, a professor of information studies at UCLA focusing on "the relationships between technology and politics", agreed with Epstein that "the larger issue" of how search engines can shape users' views is "extremely important", but questioned how many undecided voters are using Google to them help decide who to vote for.[21]

The Los Angeles Times reported in March 2019 that Epstein's criticism of Google had been "warmly embraced" by some conservatives, a phenomenon that Epstein said "is driving me crazy".[21]

In July 2019, Epstein presented his research to the Senate Judiciary Committee, claiming that Google could manipulate "upwards of 15 million votes" in 2020 and recommending that Google's search index be made public. In a clarification to a question asked by Ted Cruz he also said that "2.6 million is a rock bottom minimum" for how many votes Google might have swung towards Hillary Clinton in the 2016 US presidential election, and that "the range is between 2.6 million and up to 10.4 million votes".[22][23] Google dismissed Epstein's research as “nothing more than a poorly constructed conspiracy theory.”[24] Epstein's white paper was not peer-reviewed and was challenged by other researchers. Among the criticisms was that a small sample size was used to extrapolate conclusions about a population of millions and the lack of disclosure of the underlying methodology. Panagiotis Metaxas, a Massachusetts based Wellesley Liberal Arts College computer science professor, said the paper demonstrated a possibility of “what such an influence could have been if Google was manipulating its electoral search results,” adding "I and other researchers who have been auditing search results for years know that this did not happen.”[25]

Matt

Reaction score
I can’t comprehend how climate change can be a political issue. You would think it would unite us.

Climate change is a hoax. Your generation has had this lie crammed down your throats for years. And most of you believe it. Sad! We could not destroy the climate even if we wanted to.

Kory

Reaction score
How about perhaps he is pragmatic ? How about he knows a lot of his base will be really pissed if he did needless and useless legislation ?
Honestly, he'll do what he believe will get him re-elected. If he thinks banning bumpstocks, pushing for UBCs, magazine limits, and an AWB will pick up independents, he will do it. Screw the Constitution. Screw the Congressional process. Screw the qualms about executive branch overreach.

And I'd be really interested in how a federal AWB, magazine capacity ban, etc. would hold up in today's world after the Heller vs D.C. ruling which largely expanded gun rights and explicitly listed what infringements are prohibited. Remember, the last AWB was in 1994-2004 prior to the Heller ruling in 2008.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Climate change is a hoax. Your generation has had this lie crammed down your throats for years. And most of you believe it. Sad! We could not destroy the climate even if we wanted to.

I would love to see you try to defend this position with any kind of reasonable science. This is the most incredible thing I have ever seen you say.

Matt

Reaction score
I would love to see you try to defend this position with any kind of reasonable science. This is the most incredible thing I have ever seen you say.

Roy Spencer has too much material on this subject. Look him up and read all about it.

Kory

Reaction score
In the 1970's the greenhouse effect was going to be the cause of global cooling.
That is completely incorrect. Climate simulations of that time OVER estimated the power of sulfate aerosols which DO have a global dimming/cooling effect. The models also overestimated orbital forcings. Those are BOTH different from greenhouse gasses.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Roy Spencer has too much material on this subject. Look him up and read all about it.
Lots of that material has been accused of cherry picking data and has even caused some of his publishers to resign.

Do you work in a scientific field?

Last edited:

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

I cannot find a gif which could possibly convey my emotions after reading this... It's some kind of combination of these:

giphy_16b0af35ffcc7cfeacac7e9e5233dd17af495c25.gif

ZestySimpleDaddylonglegs-size_restricted.gif

MeanAmusingEastsiberianlaika-size_restricted.gif

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
There's been some serious sensationalism when it comes to climate change discussions. I'll hear deniers say during winter "It's 7 degrees outside, and people believe in climate change!" And the response being "climate change regards large timescales, not describing any localized weather phenomenon"

Fast forward 8 months and the same person who responded to the denier says "It's 112 degrees, and people say global warming doesn't exist!"

Sorry but it just doesn't work like that. There's no way we can say that a particular day or weeks weather is a result of climate change. Cold, hot, hurricane, tornado, dust storm ... If the weather suits your agenda that doesn't justify the hypocrisy. There's frequently a push when extreme weather occurs to bring up climate change. It's certainly real and is definitely a concern - and I'm glad we're talking about it, but there some ridiculous discussions going on that don't make sense and are exaggerating what the evidence tells us and what is measurable. Climate change is absolutely real but it's sad we have to get hyped up sensationalized disasters to raise any sort of awareness. There's plenty of irrefutable evidence regarding ice caps, glacial melting, actual carbon measurements, etc.. that should be convincing enough. We don't need some news anchor saying the latest hurricane may not have been so bad if it wasn't for climate change.

skelly

Reaction score
All have points but I don’t see why it’s not except able to be a skeptic as far as there is data that contradicts the consensus. Not that it disproves it but it’s not addressed in an educative way in the mainstream. (Not addressing really most on this forum) But true deniers that are not credible get the attention so that they are put out there to be derided while credible skeptics are ignored for the most part.

gangstonc

Reaction score
All have points but I don’t see why it’s not except able to be a skeptic as far as there is data that contradicts the consensus. Not that it disproves it but it’s not addressed in an educative way in the mainstream. (Not addressing really most on this forum) But true deniers that are not credible get the attention so that they are put out there to be derided while credible skeptics are ignored for the most part.
The number of deniers is still dwindling. Some people take longer to convince. I appreciate that. There are very few deniers still in the scientific community.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I for one support the notion that the best way to practice science is to try and disprove any given theory or hypothesis. No idea should be immune from criticism.

skelly

Reaction score
The number of deniers is still dwindling. Some people take longer to convince. I appreciate that. There are very few deniers still in the scientific community.

I understand I just don’t like the term denier. I prefer skeptic. First term of reference I have for denier is the holocaust. I actually don’t believe that is lost on people who use the term.

Kory

Reaction score
I understand I just don’t like the term denier. I prefer skeptic. First term of reference I have for denier is the holocaust. I actually don’t believe that is lost on people who use the term.
I think it’s important to be skeptical of all the assumptions, data assimilation, etc of climate models instead of well supported theories...I.e., greenhouse effect.

Kory

Reaction score
I for one support the notion that the best way to practice science is to try and disprove any given theory or hypothesis. No idea should be immune from criticism.
The more technical notion is to disprove the null hypothesis. In other words, try and back up that there IS a statistical difference from the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back