• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
So, would Cory Booker now be those 5 immigrants sponsors for asylum since he helped them across? I’m not sure how this works but it doesn’t seem like you can drag people across the border willy nilly.

Evan

Reaction score
So, would Cory Booker now be those 5 immigrants sponsors for asylum since he helped them across? I’m not sure how this works but it doesn’t seem like you can drag people across the border willy nilly.

From what I can tell, and I don't have all the details, the 5 asylum seekers entered at a legal port of entry. That's allowable under our aslyum laws. It seems Booker was trying to prevent those 5 aslyum seekers from being "metered" or returned to Mexico while their asylum claim is being adjudicated.

Metering is a tactic that CBP uses to only allow a certain number of asylum seekers to enter at legal POEs each day. It's somewhat controversial, and there are questions about whether or not metering is a violation of the asylum treaties we've signed.

Booker is definitely not a sponsor, and he wouldn't have any ability or authority to sponsor those asylum seekers as asylum seekers don't have sponsors.

To be sure, it was a PR stunt, but it definitely wasn't a violation of law to do what he did. And I say that as someone who cannot stand Booker.

Evan

Reaction score
Very few are true asylum seekers. Most have been coached to exploit the asylum loophole in the system.

I can't really disagree with this, but I also can't fully agree. Each asylum case is unique and has to rest on its own merits. I don't believe there's enough information available to determine whether or not these 5 asylum seekers have legitimate or questionable asylum claims. That said, it's obvious that the asylum process is being heavily abused by economic migrants, and without question various groups are teaching/coaching economic migrants how to pass a credible fear interview, and how to game the asylum process.

Outside of assigning more personnel and immigration judges, and making sure asylees receive proper representation and legal assistance, there's not a really good way to address this situation. Doing nothing isn't an option, and metering, return to Mexico, asylum gaming, etc are all symptoms of a badly broken system that neither side has the incentive to address. It's turned into a purely political issue, and I seriously doubt there's even a dozen decent members of Congress left that have the wherewithal or backbone to properly address the issue.

It's obvious that under Trump, and under an open borders Democratic Party, that this situation cannot be resolved. It's emblematic of where we are as a country, and it's further evidence that our political system has devolved into a system in which extremists slinging mud and those proposing unrealistic solutions are the only ones driving the entire debate.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not a bad speech by Trump.

My favorite part was when he told the story about our army taking over the airports during the Revolutionary War. Obviously something the fake news media has kept hidden from us all these years.

gangstonc

Reaction score
My favorite part was when he told the story about our army taking over the airports during the Revolutionary War. Obviously something the fake news media has kept hidden from us all these years.
I had to rewind that four times to make sure he really said it. Incredible.

Kory

Reaction score
Pretty significant case that may reign in the power of a lot of federal agencies that are granted law making abilities in order to protect "public health."

For the better part of a century, the Court has permitted Congress to delegate broad policymaking authority to federal agencies. The Court has not struck down a statute under the non-delegation doctrine since 1935, when a conservative majority was hostile to progressive New Deal measures aimed at protecting workers and consumers. Since then, the increasing complexity of modern industrialized society has made it obvious that—even when Congress is not as dysfunctional as it is now—it’s not possible for Congress to legislate the technical details necessary to regulate the environment, health, safety, labor, education, energy, elections, discrimination, housing, and the economy.

As a result, executive agencies create regulations and implement binding policies. That has long been understood as both necessary for the country to function and consistent with the Constitution. The Court has applied a test: if a statute gives an agency discretion that is sufficiently constrained by an “intelligible principle,” then Congress is not unconstitutionally delegating legislative power. But many conservatives complain that that test has been applied in a lax way, so that any statute delegating any scope of authority appears to satisfy it. For example, the Court has repeatedly upheld statutes that give agencies only general guidance, such as to regulate in the “public interest,” or issue air quality standards “requisite to protect the public health.”

We are now explicitly on notice that the Court will likely abandon its longstanding tolerance of Congress delegating broadly to agencies. What’s at stake is the potential upending of the constitutional foundations of the so-called “administrative state.” Today’s reality is that agencies, not Congress, make most federal laws. As Justice Kagan put it, if the delegation in Gundy were unconstitutional, “then most of Government is unconstitutional.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...ote-away-from-changing-how-the-us-is-governed

Kory

Reaction score
Okay, I laughed. Unlike her crocodile tears while staring at a empty lot behind a chain linked fence, I'm sure she'd have real tears for her true hero.

66020731_2440866206131280_1773807714992914432_n.jpg

gangstonc

Reaction score
I can’t believe alex Acosta hasn’t been fired.

I really hope everybody connected to Epstein gets exactly what they deserve, regardless of power or wealth.

Last edited:

Matt

Reaction score
I am wondering what Ghost, Evan and others on this board know that the millionaires I saw this past week at Orange Beach flying trump 2020 flags from their Rybovich, Hatteras and Viking yachts don't know. Just wondering.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I am wondering what Ghost, Evan and others on this board know that the millionaires I saw this past week at Orange Beach flying trump 2020 flags from their Rybovich, Hatteras and Viking yachts don't know. Just wondering.
We know they got bigger tax breaks than the people Trump said he was giving them to.

How do you know they were millionaires? Why is this anecdotal evidence important?

——————

I don’t think trump understands who the bad guys are and who thevictims are.

Matt

Reaction score
We know they got bigger tax breaks than the people Trump said he was giving them to.

How do you know they were millionaires? Why is this anecdotal evidence important?

——————

I don’t think trump understands who the bad guys are and who thevictims are.

I saw with my own eyes many, many boats flying both American and Trump flags. The three boats I mentioned were new and over 50'. Look up how much it costs to buy and how much to operate per hour. Not cheap.

gangstonc

Reaction score
A connection between Seth Rich, the DNC staffer murdered last year and Wikileaks has been established. John Podesta's emails talk of teaching the leaker(s) a lesson. Why have we not heard this in the MSM ?
Turns out you were duped by the Russians:

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Hey, look - I found millionaires that are opposed to Trump, and I even have their names. I wonder if they own yachts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back