• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Trump isn't going to give up his tax returns or his school grade transcripts. If anyone ever sees them, you can bet he paid someone to forge them. There are things in them that he doesn't want the public to know about.
You are wrong. They are all on the up and up. He’s a fine American gentleman.

gangstonc

Reaction score
The President wants to drag this out? Just stop. People like you who actually make me defend Donald Trump is what really pisses me off.
The McGahn saga that is ongoing is a delay tactic. The tax return saga is a delay tactics. The administration is not in a winnable position here politically, but time is on their side.

Matt

Reaction score
USC 6103(f)(1)
Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return orreturn information specified in such request, except that anyreturn or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

It’s the law.

:)

What's the legislative purpose ? It to harass only.

gangstonc

Reaction score
What's the legislative purpose ? It to harass only.
First of all, no legislative purpose is necessary. However, the legislative purposes are to see if trump is making money from foreign governments (conflicts of interest) and to see if he is violating emoluments laws.

I am glad you can admit that there is a statute in place to force Mnuchin to privately release the returns.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad Matt is a stern supporter of checks and balances. If there's nothing to hide, let the Dems make fools of themselves and save the Republicans in 2020.

Kory

Reaction score
So what are the Dems trying to achieve with this whole tax return charade? If Trump did anything illegal, I suspect the IRS would've found it long, LONG, ago. You ain't screwing Uncle Sam and getting away with it...

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
So what are the Dems trying to achieve with this whole tax return charade? If Trump did anything illegal, I suspect the IRS would've found it long, LONG, ago. You ain't screwing Uncle Sam and getting away with it...
They're looking for Trump exploiting tax loopholes that are technically legal but shouldn't be. The wealthy screw Uncle Sam all the time. To be purposefully vague, a very close family member of mine has this exact job at a lawyers office in a big metro. Move assets, generally overseas, avoid taxes "legally". If you think people aren't screwing Uncle Sam you are living in a dream world.

gangstonc

Reaction score
As i said before, they are looking at conflicts of interest. If trump was in financial trouble, he is very open to foreign influence. It’s why you can’t get a security clearance if you have a lot of debt.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I'm glad Matt is a stern supporter of checks and balances. If there's nothing to hide, let the Dems make fools of themselves and save the Republicans in 2020.
I don’t understand why the republicans are trying to block viewership of something that offers 100% exoneration.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I hardly recognized Marco Rubio with a backbone

Kory

Reaction score
Making sure the transgender Colorado school shooter was properly identified by the correct gender might be most peak “wokeness” I’ve seen peddled by leftists so far.

Kory

Reaction score
They're looking for Trump exploiting tax loopholes that are technically legal but shouldn't be. The wealthy screw Uncle Sam all the time. To be purposefully vague, a very close family member of mine has this exact job at a lawyers office in a big metro. Move assets, generally overseas, avoid taxes "legally". If you think people aren't screwing Uncle Sam you are living in a dream world.
Sounds like Uncle Sam set themselves up to be screwed. I can’t blame people for saving more of their money.

Fix the system. Otherwise, don’t target someone through political moves because other attempts are floundering.

Evan

Reaction score
Sounds like Uncle Sam set themselves up to be screwed. I can’t blame people for saving more of their money.

Fix the system. Otherwise, don’t target someone through political moves because other attempts are floundering.

It doesn't matter if politics is what is truly behind their request as long as they can claim a legitimate legislative purpose. Just like how the courts give extreme deference to the Executive branch when it comes to administrative regulations and rulings - - if a legitimate purpose can be identified then it's allowable. Congress is a co-equal branch and is entitled to oversight. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that oversight must be non-partisan or non-political. Because...are you kidding me? You actually think the past 30-40 years of oversight and Congress hadn't almost always been nakedly political?

If you want to take politics out of our government then I'd highly suggest you look at the last two years of the Executive branch's behavior under Trump. But here's the thing - - Congress makes our laws. They made a law that says they get tax returns if they want them. They want Trump's tax returns. He can delay in court all they want, but the admin's argument is very weak. It's basically the same trope this admin has repeatedly used: "the law doesn't apply to the President." If you think that's a good precedent then go right ahead believing so. No way Democrats would ever abuse such a theory to take away more of our rights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back