• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
Ford's former significant other who was contacted by the FBI.

DojDTELXsAAEMsl.jpg:large

Arcadia

Reaction score
The New Yorker has evidently decided to set a standard for a new low of journalistic integrity. And Ronan Farrow has evidently decided he hasn't embarrassed himself quite enough. In a nutshell The New Yorker obtained heresay from "classmates" who say they heard about Ramirez from an eyewitness. The New Yorker contacted said eyewitness who said he had NO MEMORY of it ever happening. (I see a pattern here) The paper ran the story anyway. Then, just for fun, they threw in another "classmate" story about how BK's friends were mean to others and sometimes Brett would laugh. (This has NOTHING to do with what he is being accused of so it was meaningless to even include in the article other than try to impugn his character some more.) But what does Farrow tweet out?

“I feel like I’m being silenced." The FBI declined to interview primary witnesses related to the Kavanaugh allegations it was tasked with reviewing. Some of them resorted to sending in unsolicited sworn statements, which @JaneMayerNYer and I obtained:"

Right, you political swine. The FBI isn't going to interview secondhand witnesses. That's called gossip and heresay. What it isn't is corroboration. And they are not going to talk to a bunch of people who are making claims about things that have absolutely nothing to do with what he's being accused of. But let's not let common sense and facts get in the way of a titillating story. It sure isn't going to stop all the usual suspects in the MSM from reposting and retweeting every stupid word. What a sad, pathetic world this is.

gangstonc

Reaction score
The New Yorker has evidently decided to set a standard for a new low of journalistic integrity. And Ronan Farrow has evidently decided he hasn't embarrassed himself quite enough. In a nutshell The New Yorker obtained heresay from "classmates" who say they heard about Ramirez from an eyewitness. The New Yorker contacted said eyewitness who said he had NO MEMORY of it ever happening. (I see a pattern here) The paper ran the story anyway. Then, just for fun, they threw in another "classmate" story about how BK's friends were mean to others and sometimes Brett would laugh. (This has NOTHING to do with what he is being accused of so it was meaningless to even include in the article other than try to impugn his character some more.) But what does Farrow tweet out?

“I feel like I’m being silenced." The FBI declined to interview primary witnesses related to the Kavanaugh allegations it was tasked with reviewing. Some of them resorted to sending in unsolicited sworn statements, which @JaneMayerNYer and I obtained:"

Right, you political swine. The FBI isn't going to interview secondhand witnesses. That's called gossip and heresay. What it isn't is corroboration. And they are not going to talk to a bunch of people who are making claims about things that have absolutely nothing to do with what he's being accused of. But let's not let common sense and facts get in the way of a titillating story. It sure isn't going to stop all the usual suspects in the MSM from reposting and retweeting every stupid word. What a sad, pathetic world this is.
My problem isn’t that they didn’t interview hearsay witnesses. They didn’t interview Ford and Kavanaugh or the other two accusers.

Evan

Reaction score
Arcadia,

I understand being upset, but remember that this was always going to happen. Anyone nominated that might upset the balance of liberals legislating through court decision was going to be smeared. I truly believe that Kavanaugh knew this. Perhaps he underestimated the level of vitriol, and that he'd be accused of such grotesque things, but having participated in the Clinton investigation, I'm sure he knew it would be a highly partisan and negative affair.

A lot of media outlets, reporters, and journalists have exposed their bias because of Kavanaugh. Everyone is biased - having it revealed is actually a very good thing. But, more importantly, the FBI investigation has shone a bright light on the desperation of Democrats, their unfair tactics, and that mi investigation will EVER be "long enough" or "fair enough" unless it disqualifies or prevents Kavanaugh from taking his seat on SCOTUS.

I think most reasonable people see this. I wish Kavanaugh had been less combative, angry but without the partisan commentary, and not have given misleading, likely to have been false, or demonstrably false answers. He gave some people a new reason to oppose him, or convinced some undecideds to oppose him. It will continue to bother me for a LONG time that he was dishonest at times during his testimony. He will need to show a very balanced temperament and careful, deliberative decision making to redeem himself in the eyes of many - including my own. I didn't want him to withdraw or be voted down, but only because I didn't want Democrats to take his scalp, and because the continual smears against him were so incredibly unfair and false.

I hope he has learned new perspectives about due process, the true potential of being falsely accused/wrongfully convicted, and the credibility of polygraphs, the police, eyewitness testimony, etc. If he learned a lot from this experience then he has the ability to be a great justice. If, however, he continues to rule the same on searches/seizures, due process, LE exemptions, and all the other issues I mentioned, as he did on the DC Court of Appeals, he will have shown that he is as self-centered and over-privileged as his critics have alleged.

I think he will show a new respect for these issues. I believe he is capable of reflection and of using personal experience to inform about previously unrecognized blindspots. If not, it shows he was a poor choice for a SCOTUS seat. I'm hopeful but not certain.

For 40+ years the courts have expanded the rights of the state over that of its citizens. For 40+ years the courts have minimized transgressions by the state and restricted the rights of those accused of a crime. For too long the courts have marched in a direction that is skeptical of constitutional protections as long as the state claims an "innocent" mistake was made, or if there was other evidence indicative of one's guilt. I hope Kavanaugh begins to reverse this trend and ends the idea that it is "Conservative" to give more and more power to the state under the guise of safety or security.

Evan

Reaction score
Trump isn't smart enough to play 4-D chess like his cultists claim, but he's a Democrat at heart, and after it was explained to him I'm sure he understood the potential positives of the FBI investigation.

Like Democrats attacking and critisizing the FBI:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/04/po...rd-fbi-wray/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

Trump loves that. It helps him. As a fellow Democrat, he knows what they do when cornered. Work the refs. Complain about the officiating. :)

Evan

Reaction score
My problem isn’t that they didn’t interview hearsay witnesses. They didn’t interview Ford and Kavanaugh or the other two accusers.

Swetnick isn't credible. Her claim is sensational and lacks even the smallest bit of corroboration. She completely contradicted herself in her NBC interview. Numerous people that know her well have cast serious doubts on her credibility. Prior lawsuits and other public records cast additional doubt on her veracity and credibility.

Ford testified under oath already. If the FBI had additional questions for her they would've interviewed her. The FBI did interview Deborah Ramirez. Who is the other accuser you are referring to?

Ford's attorneys can bleet and whine all they want that the FBI didn't interview people from their cherry-picking "witness list" but that's not how FBI investigations work. They know that. This is all about trying to cast doubt on the FBI investigation when the Democrats have made it clear that no investigation or delay will be enough. The only acceptable solution to them is some variation of Kavanaugh not being seated. Whether that be that he withdraws, McConnell doesn't hold a floor vote, or the White House pulls the nomination, the only acceptable outcome to them is that the seat remain open until they control the White House and Senate again.

Arcadia

Reaction score
Evan,

My being upset isn't just about Kavanaugh, though I hate seeing a man being set against this way. My being upset is that this could happen to anyone. If all it takes is an allegation - no supporting evidence - just a story to ruin somebody-- then why isn't everyone upset? You and I know the answer to that but it's THAT answer that has me coming apart at the seams. I don't even recognize this country anymore.

Evan

Reaction score
Evan,

My being upset isn't just about Kavanaugh, though I hate seeing a man being set against this way. My being upset is that this could happen to anyone. If all it takes is an allegation - no supporting evidence - just a story to ruin somebody-- then why isn't everyone upset? You and I know the answer to that but it's THAT answer that has me coming apart at the seams. I don't even recognize this country anymore.

I'll add some fuel to the fire:

Rifts Break Open at Facebook Over Kavanaugh Hearing https://nyti.ms/2CpoSwI

This is absolute lunacy. The left and social justice warriors do not believe individuals are entitled to have opinions that are different from their own. I find it amazing that Executives of a company are even hostage to this kind of tyrannical groupthink. It does portend that our country is facing a major crisis of freedom in thought, speech, and political orientation.

This is why Democrats have no problem with signing on to a court packing plan. But let me be clear - this is not solely confined to leftists. The alt-right and Trump have led to a similar crisis in areas of the Republican Party. Particularly among the young and MAGA nation. Dissent is not allowed by those groups and neither by the left. Those of us that believe in traditional values and American exceptionalism as it pertains to freedom and liberalism (classical liberalism not "liberal" as in left) look on and see a country and culture we barely recognize.

Kory

Reaction score
Evan,

Add to the fact it is now commonplace on college campuses to say that "regretting" intercourse after consent can be construed as sexual assault or rape. WTF is that? If you consented, but then regret it the next day, that is your own damn fault.

It is absolute lunacy on college campuses today. Do we need waivers signed before what goes on in the bedroom?

gangstonc

Reaction score
Swetnick isn't credible. Her claim is sensational and lacks even the smallest bit of corroboration. She completely contradicted herself in her NBC interview. Numerous people that know her well have cast serious doubts on her credibility. Prior lawsuits and other public records cast additional doubt on her veracity and credibility.

Ford testified under oath already. If the FBI had additional questions for her they would've interviewed her. The FBI did interview Deborah Ramirez. Who is the other accuser you are referring to?

Ford's attorneys can bleet and whine all they want that the FBI didn't interview people from their cherry-picking "witness list" but that's not how FBI investigations work. They know that. This is all about trying to cast doubt on the FBI investigation when the Democrats have made it clear that no investigation or delay will be enough. The only acceptable solution to them is some variation of Kavanaugh not being seated. Whether that be that he withdraws, McConnell doesn't hold a floor vote, or the White House pulls the nomination, the only acceptable outcome to them is that the seat remain open until they control the White House and Senate again.
Ford and the other two accusers is what I meant to say.

Ford was not interviewed by the fbi, she was interviews by partisans. Dems tossed her softballs. Republicans tried to poke holes in her story.

Swetnick put forth her allegation under penalty of perjury. She should have been interviewed and if she was lying, jailed. The investigation was incomplete.

I also think we should be able to see it. Maybe it wasn’t as incomplete as I think? Maybe it was a total sham. We will never know the truth because we have the most dishonest collection of swamp rats in DC that there has ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back