• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Piercings in Alabama

Gail

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the laws for piercing parlors are in Alabama for minors? Mississippi is an absolute no, and our daughter turns 6 this weekend. She’s wanting her ears pierced. We’re trying to avoid Claire’s or Walmart and want to get it professionally done. I appreciate any help with this. :)

Gail

Reaction score
Just in case anyone else is ever curious about this - no minors under the age of 16 even with parental consent.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Just in case anyone else is ever curious about this - no minors under the age of 16 even with parental consent.
I didn't do a ton of research, but I don't think that's correct (unless it's some sort of municipality law that supercedes the state law?). According to Alabama Code Title 22. Health, Mental Health, and Environmental Control § 22-17A-2:
(a) An individual shall not tattoo, brand, or perform body piercing on another individual or a minor unless the individual obtains the prior written informed consent of the parent or legal guardian of the minor.  The parent or legal guardian of the minor shall execute the written informed consent required under this subsection in the presence of the individual performing the tattooing, branding, or body piercing on the minor or in the presence of an employee or agent of that individual.

and from Alabama Code Title 22. Health, Mental Health, and Environmental Control § 22-17A-1:
(4) MINOR. An individual under 18 years of age who is not emancipated.  An emancipated minor is or has been married or has by court order otherwise been legally freed from the care, custody, and control of his or her parents.

Furthermore, piercings are defines as (also from Alabama Code Title 22. Health, Mental Health, and Environmental Control § 22-17A-1):
(1) BODY PIERCING. The perforation of human tissue other than ear for a nonmedical purpose.

It appears that ear piercing is exempt from most of the rules and regulations related to body piercing in Alabama.
NOTE: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, I'm just a googler doing some googling.

Gail

Reaction score
I called a few shops around Tuscaloosa, and they all told me that. I really don't want to go the Claire's/Walmart route and have a teenager do it (I still have issues with mine) so I guess she'll just wait a while longer.

Back