• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

First commercial docking of two satellites in orbit

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is pretty neat stuff. Yesterday, Northrup Grumman and their wholly owned company Space Logistics, LLC successfully docked their Mission Extension Vehicle (MEV) with Intelsat's IS-901 satellite. The MEV will take over attitude and orbit maintenance of the IS-901 which was low on fuel. It is expected to give an extra 5 years of mission life to IS-901 and then the MEV will move it to a final decommissioning orbit. At that MEV-1 will move to another satellite. In all the MEV-1 can provide 15 years of service. The MEV-2 is expected to launch later this year. The photo below is from from about 80 yard away from IS-901 as the MEV-1 moved in for docking.

MEV-1, launched Oct. 9, 2019, recently completed its orbit raising to an orbit approximately 180 miles above geosynchronous orbit. IS-901 is a fully operational communication satellite that is running low on fuel. Intelsat (NYSE: I) removed 901 from service in December 2019, transferring customers to other satellites in its extensive fleet, in order to raise its orbit to the same altitude as MEV-1 in preparation for docking. MEV-1 then completed the historic docking with IS-901 on February 25 at 2:15 a.m. ET. The combined spacecraft stack will now perform on-orbit checkouts before MEV-1 begins relocating the combined vehicle to return IS-901 into service in late March.

1582753991517.png
Photo Northrop Grumman

TomaJo

Reaction score
I recently read a discussion about satellite maintenance. People in the space community find this financially impractical. I like this kind of news despite its ambiguity. At least this means that some work is underway in this direction. Perhaps in a few years, we will really get a new unique opportunity to extend the life of important companions. But now the equipment on satellites is designed to last.

Back