• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

COVID-19 detected in United States

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I got the Moderna double-dose when it came out, but then I was off-put by how everyone immediately switched to how it didn't really count unless you're boosted.

I didn't believe that; taking that risk on a new and not widely used (at that point) vaccine did count, or what was the point?

There was no reinforcement; instead, we just got more and more fearful stuff.

This health crisis wasn't handled like earlier ones; that's what folks in the future will see. They might decide it was mishandled bigtime by both Republicans and Democrats.

And it may be used as Exhibit A for the case against managing public health issues through appeals to emotion of any sort, as well as through mandates.

I've just lost faith in the vaccination/public health system to some extent. Still glad of having the pneumonia and tetanus vaxes, at my age, but that's it.

And it seems I'm not alone: that 74% figure here isn't likely to go down any time soon. The rest were probably mandated to people who either were okay with the COVID vax stuff or felt unable to switch jobs.

Meanwhile, I still have no bus service on weekends any more...

thundersnow

Reaction score
My concern is... there was already an anti-vax movement before COVID. I'm afraid that has only grown, and now our world may become sitting ducks for a return of something like Polio or Small Pox. There are already upticks in measles cases. That was mostly a thing of the past in my childhood because of vaccinations. But, these things are on the rise.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
My concern is... there was already an anti-vax movement before COVID. I'm afraid that has only grown, and now our world may become sitting ducks for a return of something like Polio or Small Pox. There are already upticks in measles cases. That was mostly a thing of the past in my childhood because of vaccinations. But, these things are on the rise.
Yeah the anti-vax trend that was ramping up before the pandemic exacerbated problems tremendously and was very bad timing.
I'm in the school of thought that if you are moderately healthy with limited co-morbidities, the two-dose vaccines or getting covid will give good protection against the absolutely horrible symptoms that we saw when the first waves rippled through the US. Boosters are good if you never had an actual COVID infection, or it's been a couple years and for people who have moderate to substantial co-morbidities. There's no guarantee that will be true for every single person in any case, but it is what I've personally witnessed over the past couple years.
Ultimately the vaccines are very safe, and for any health-conscious person whether for themselves or those around them, they're a great thing to have available.

thundersnow

Reaction score
Yeah- for myself… I had the original two shots and then got full blown COVID (probably Omicron variant by that time) about 10 months later. I don’t regret getting the original vaccine at that time, but I have no plans to get a booster. I think COVID is at a manageable stage at this point, and it's really more about each person assessing their own risks, just like they would do during flu season.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
For certain higher risk groups it is probably still a good thing, but the fact that the more shots you have had could actually increase your risk of catching the currently circulating strains has to be a concern if we ever get a more severe strain circulating again. Hopefully that never happens.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I tested positive today. Had symptoms since Monday, went yesterday and was negative, today two home tests were positive so went back to confirm and it was indeed positive. So far, it’s been fairly mild. Had 101 fever Monday night but went down to around 99.5 yesterday and been 98 today. Some body aches and this dry cough is annoying along with a sore throat at times. They gave me Paxlovid but the pharmacy was closed so I’ll pick it up tomorrow. Not the way I had planned to spend Christmas break. I’ve had the two original vacations plus one booster about a year ago but didn’t get the updated one this fall.

Back