• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Chocolate factory explosion in Pennsylvania

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wasn't sure where to post this, but as if enough lives weren't lost in the horrific Mississippi tornadoes yesterday...
A chocolate factory exploded in West Reading, PA. Five dead so far.

Jacob

Reaction score
That’s terrible. I work in an oil refinery now so explosions, leaks, etc are always in the back of your mind, but chocolate factories aren’t something that make you think explosive hazards. Granted, I know nothing about the process, and there’s always some risk in an industrial process. I’ll be curious to see what the cause of this is determined to be.

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, but as if enough lives weren't lost in the horrific Mississippi tornadoes yesterday...
A chocolate factory exploded in West Reading, PA. Five dead so far.

I was going to crack a Hershey or maybe Willy Wonka related joke until I read "Five dead so far". Terrible news, but how the heck did a chocolate factory explode?

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Starch dust explosion has been mentioned as having happened with chocolate factories before. Sugar dust also can go boom. Or natural gas. Palmer makes a lot of holiday chocolates as well as the YooHoo candy bar

Back