• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Arecibo telescope has collapsed

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
They were going to take it down anyway, but reportedly gravity did their work for them today.

Two questions out of curiosity:

1. Was this indirectly Hurricane Maria's fault?
  2. Any thoughts on the impacts of its loss on space research and programs?
An old video:

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That sucks. I know Homer Hickham who is on the National Space Council was trying to lobby the agency to support bringing in the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers to assess and possibly spearhead the emergency effort to save it. Will be interesting to see how the space community reacts.

Reaction score
Incredible footage of the collapse, they even had a drone recording the cables as they snapped.

That footage is eerie and bittersweet to watch as it reminds me of the climactic scene in GoldenEye where they collapsed the Arecibo Telescope...now it's actually happened for real.

TomaJo

Reaction score
At the end of December, an executive order was signed to restore Arecibo which was destroyed in a total structural failure on December 1. Here are two sources that indicate that $ 8 million will be allocated for the work:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...to-Rico-commits-8-million-reconstruction.html

https://www.weatherboy.com/outgoing...tgoing Puerto,structural failure in December% 201.

On the other hand, experts estimate the cost of over 100 million for the construction of such a telescope at present.

Logo 468x120
Back