• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

andyhb

Reaction score
There’s no doubt in my mind that the parent storm was a classic supercell for most of the tornado’s life. All the pictures of it show a clearly visible funnel (of varying size) and some, especially the ones from the Ottawa Airport, show that very well developed, sculpted wall cloud and inflow tail reminiscent of the Cordova tornado as others have mentioned.

This was a very powerful trough for late May, perhaps one of the strongest documented in the climatology. There were several other strong tornadoes this day, including a massive, long-tracked wedge near Concordia, KS that was rated F4, but was probably F5. The same system produced another significant tornado event the next day over the Northern Ozarks and Mid MS Valley, where Fremont, MO was devastated by an F4.

1600612867165.jpeg

Last edited:

thundersnow

Reaction score
Maybe the thread title should be updated to just show the date of that event. I clicked on this thinking I was about to read about a December tornado that occurred 60 years ago today. ;)

Back