• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Veterans Weekend Outbreak 2002

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's the 21st anniversary of a rather significant tornado outbreak; twelve deaths across Alabama and the last F3+ tornadoes on the old Fujita Scale in the state. A deadly and significant event even region-wide with killer tornadoes from Ohio to Tennessee and Alabama, and one that had quite an effect on me; helping neighbors and friends try to salvage surviving possessions out of a pond next to their completely leveled homes leaves a strong impression on an eleven year old, as did hiding in the basement from not one but two of the closest calls with significant and killer tornadoes in my entire life, back to back. I didn't have Internet or a camera back then of course and documentation is sparse. Intended on doing an interview project with those in Walker County that remember the night but COVID and life kind of got in the way. Looking for any stories and memories of that frightening and historic night as we remember the lives lost on this anniversary of the outbreak

Nov10_map2.gif

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My own story from the day, finally put to words

Jacob

Reaction score
I remember it well. I was 14 at the time and glued to the TV all night. My extended family is all up through the Carbon Hill/Nauvoo area. None of them had direct damage, but the paths did cross right on the edge of some of their properties. I remember driving through damage paths going up for Thanksgiving and Christmas that year.

MichelleH

Reaction score
The F3 that went through Cullman County wasn't that far from our house. We were all huddled in the hall and I think that's the most frightened I ever saw my grandfather.

Logo 468x120
Back